Miscellaneous notes, scores, bass parts, etc., collected by F. Withy
Nos. 2-13: F. Withy's bass parts and scores of church music, much of it incomplete.
Nos. 14-19 are written in volume reversed.
Nos. 15-19: Withy's scores and bass parts, continued.
- (pp. 2-5) Coleman. 6-part fantazia (M1) scored by the second owner. [A note refers to MSS. Mus. Sch. c. 64-69].
- (pp. 7-10) Bass 'prick'd from Dr. Aldr[ich's] booke' 23 March 1681/2 of 'O Lord I have heard'.
- (p. 13) Bass of Cap. H. Cooke's 'Turn thou us'.
- (pp. 14-15) Tallis. 5-part Litany. Score.
- (p. 19) Chants by Dr. Blow, Bartholomew Isaac, H[enry] P[urcell], and one '1st song by Mr. W. Sanders Nov. 26 1702'.
- (pp. 20-28) Incomplete copy of verse anthem by H. Aldrich in score, 'We have a strong city'.
- (pp. 28-29) Incomplete bass of Blow's 'Turn thee unto me'.
- (pp. 30-32) Incomplete score of Aldrich's Magnificat.
- (pp. 42-43) Bass of Pelham Humfrey's 'O praise the Lord'.
- (pp. 44-48) Partial score of Blow's anthem 'I will cry unto thee' and fragments of Blow's Services.
- (pp. 50-53) Organ part 'made by Mr. L[owe (?)]' of Aldrich's 'O sing'.
- (pp. 53-54) [Aldrich's] 'God be merciful', with the Gloria of no. 11.
- (pp. 55-56) Incomplete score of Aldrich's Benedicite.
- (pp. 122-100 rev.) Vallentine Rother's copy of 8 keyboard pieces. Included are a Ground with variations, 'A Masck', 2 'Courantos', 'so ould', and 'heden griefe'.
- (pp. 107-195 rev.) F. Sances, 'Plagi tuae Domine' and part of 'O Domine guttae tuae sanguinis', score, with critical note.
- (p. 94 rev.) 'Part of "I will cry"' by J. Blow. Bass.
- (pp. 93-78 rev.) Partial score of Aldrich's 'I will love thee'.
- (pp. 75-74 rev.) Bass of Aldrich's 'Behold in heaven'.
- (pp. 76, 74-59 rev.) Scores of parts of cantatas by G. B. Bassani from his op. 8, 'Aligeri amores', 'Alleluya' [from 'In hoc mundo'], 'Quid arma', and 'Corda languida'.
Spaces throughout are occupied by copies of music by various composers, sometimes chosen to illustrate musical theory. Bartholomew Isaacs is mentioned on p. 110 and music by him is on pp. 6, 12, 16 and 19. Mr. L[owe (?)] is mentioned in a note on the back cover, and Dr. G[oodman (?)] on p. 11. Composers named are Bassani, pp. 48, 74; Blow, pp. 12, 19, 49; Capt. Cooke, p. 6; Pelham Humfrey, p. 14; Purcell, pp. 1, 48; and G. F. Sances, p. 1. Withy's own grounds, etc., were copied on pp. 1 (1689), 10, (1703), 17 and 74 (1703).
- Creation: 1681-1703
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Mus. Sch. d. 217, pp. 1-2].
MS. Mus. Sch. d. 217
Music School B. 6. 7
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 17344
Miscellaneous notes, scores, bass parts, etc., collected by F. Withy, 1682-1703.
Biographical / Historical
Francis Withy (c 1645-1727) was a Cathedral singer, string player, music copyist, teacher and composer. See the Grove Music Online for further details.
Other Finding Aids
Robert Hake, [Catalogue of the Music School Collection], c 1850-1855. No. XVIII.
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 26396.
This item is part of the Music School collection of printed and manuscript music, which was originally bequeathed to the University of Oxford by William Heather (c 1563-1627), and gradually added to until the end of the 18th century. These manuscripts were collected by F. Withy, 1682-1703, in a book formerly owned by Vallentine Rother and one other owner.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was transferred to the Bodleian in 1885.
122 pages gathered in 8 quires of 10: many leaves were removed. Watermark, 'Pot', IDR. Ruling, 8 6-lined staves, marginal ruling at both edges. Binding, limp vellum with kid ties.
- Blow | John | 1648-1708 | composer (Person)
- Bassani | Giovanni Battist | c 1650-1716 | composer (Person)
- Humfrey | Pelham | 1647/8-1674 | composer (Person)
- Francis | Withy | c 1645-1727 | singer, string player, music copyist, teacher and composer (Person)
- Aldrich | Henry | 1648-1710 | composer (Person)
- Sances | Giovanni Felice | c 1600-1679 | composer and singer (Person)
- Miscellaneous notes, scores, bass parts, etc., collected by F. Withy
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description