Incidental music arranged for two violins and bass
Incidental music in part-books (i, 'Voyelino Primo'; ii, Second Treble; iii, [Bass]) copied by one hand c 1700.
Nos. 11-16 are all from 'Music for St Cecilia's Feast', 1696. [Cf. British Library Add. Ms. 35403, fols. 72-74. Nos. 17 and 18 probably belong to it also].
- (1-8) Mr. Jno [Jeremiah] Clark[e]. Overture [and airs in G minor and G major]. i, pp. 1-3; ii, pp. 25-27; iii, pp. 47-49.
- (9-10) Mr. Henry Purcell in [Abdelazar], [Z. 570/4-5]. i, pp. 3-4; ii, p. 37; iii, pp. 49-50.
- (11-15) Mr. Morgan. Overture [and airs] in F (14, Scotch Tune; 15, Room for Cuckolds). i, pp. 4-7; ii, pp. 28-30; iii, pp. 50-52.
- (16-17) Airs in A. i, pp. 7-8; ii, p. 31; iii, pp. 52-53.
- (18) 'Cibell' in C. i, p. 8; ii, pp. 31-32; iii, p. 53. [Not included in Thurston Dart's thematic index, Revue Belge de Musicologie, vi, 1952, p. 28]. i, pp. 18-21; ii, pp. 41-44; iii, pp. 62-65.
- (19-27) Mr. Morgan. Overture [and airs] in D minor. i, pp. 8-12; ii, pp. 32-36; iii, pp. 54-59.
- (28-36) Mr. Morgan. Overture [and airs] in B flat from The Mock Mariage. [Cf. British Library Add. Ms. 45403, fols. 45v-46v]. i, pp. 12-17; ii, pp. 36-41; iii, pp. 57-62.
- (37-44) Mr. Morgan in the Maiden Queen. (41, Cibell - not included in Thurston Dart's thematic index, Revue Belge de Musicologie, vi, 1952, p. 28]. i, pp. 18-21; ii, pp. 41-44; iii, pp. 62-65.
- (45-46) [Thomas Morgan in The Mock Marriage]. Airs in G minor. i, p. 22; ii, pp. 44-45; iii, pp. 65-66. [Cf. Royal College of Music Ms 11722, fol. 10 and British Library Add Ms. 354030, fols. 45v-46].
Another hand, or hands (?), added in i music in G minor, p. ii; airs in G minor and G major headed 'Green', pp. 22-23.
- Creation: c 1700
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Mus. Sch. c. 73, fols. 1-2].
MS. Mus. Sch. c. 73
Music School A. 5. 12-14
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 17302
Part-books for incidental music arranged for two violins and bass, c 1700.
Biographical / Historical
Jeremiah Clarke (c 1674-1707) was an English composer and organist. See Grove Music Online for further details.
Henry Purcell (c 1659-1695) was an English composer and organist. See Grove Music Online for further details.
Thomas Morgan (fl 1691–1699) was an organist and composer, probably Irish. See Grove Music Online for further details.
Other Finding Aids
Robert Hake, [Catalogue of the Music School Collection], c 1850-1855. No. XLII.
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 26438.
This item is part of the Music School collection of printed and manuscript music, which was originally bequeathed to the University of Oxford by William Heather (c 1563-1627), and gradually added to until the end of the 18th century.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was transferred to the Bodleian in 1885.
Part-books of 13, 11, 11, and 12 blank pages, now bound as one volume, ii + 42 pages. Formerly separate sheets stitched together (the distribution of the paper argues against former quiring) in three [or four (?)] books. Watermark, Coat of Arms, countermark AB, as in MS. Mus. Sch. c. 72. Ruled with 12 5-line staves, red margins.
- Incidental music arranged for two violins and bass
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description