Papers of Dennis George Ruddock Herbert, Lord Hemingford
- Correspondence, etc. relating to work at Achimota, 1925-1952
- Correspondence, etc. relating to work at Budo, 1930-1953
- Correspondebce, etc. relating to Budo, mostly dating from after Herbert's departure, 1945-1981
- Correspondence, reports, minutes, etc. concerning term of office as Rector of Achimota College, 1945-1952
- Correspondence, etc. concerning Achimota after Herbert's departure and the Revd. A.G. Fraser, 1952-1981
- Diaries, 1932-1952
- Correspondence, etc. relating to the Africa Bureau, 1952-1977
- Correspondence, etc. relating to the Defence and Aid Fund run by Christian Action, 1956-1961
- Correspondence, articles, etc. concerning books compiled or reviewed by Herbert, 1943-1967
- Letters and press cuttings concerning events in Africa, 1950-1955
- Letters to Herbert, 1953-1957
- Letters to Herbert, with press cuttings on Africa, 1962-1982
- Sermons, speeches and essays, [1922-1973]
- Miscellaneous printed material and photographs, 1924-1978
- Printed circular letters from the Revd. A.G. Fraser, 1925-1931
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Afr.s. 1807].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Afr.s. 1807
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 2340
Biographical / Historical
Dennis George Ruddock Herbert (1904-1982) was master at Achimota College, Gold Coast, 1926-1939 (founded by the Revd. A.G. Fraser who was also first Principal), then Headmaster, King's College, Budo, Uganda to 1947, when he succeeded his father as 2nd Baron Hemingford. He took a post at Achimota College as Rector, 1948-1952, then returned to England, where he became Chairman of the newly formed Africa Bureau and Vice-President in 1963. He also served as President of the East and West Friendship Council and as a member of the Executive of the United Nations Association. He took an active part in the local politics of Huntingdonshire, sitting as a Conservative in the House of Lords and as Chairman of Huntingdonshire County Council, 1961-1965 and Huntingdon and Peterborough County Council, 1967-1971. He was a Justice of the Peace for Huntingdonshire from 1960 onwards and was made Lord Lieutenant of Huntingdon and Peterborough in 1968. In 1932 he married Elizabeth McClare Clark, with whom he had one son and two daughters.
Other Finding Aids
Listed as no. 1251 in Manuscript Collections in Rhodes House Library Oxford, Accessions 1978-1994 (Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1996). A handlist is also available in the library reading room.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Acquisition information unknown.
- 20th century
- Africa -- History -- 1960-
- Africa Bureau | 1952 - 1978
- Christian Action
- Education -- Great Britain -- Colonies -- Ghana
- Education -- Great Britain -- Colonies -- Uganda
- Fraser | A.G. | d 1962 | Revd. | founder and first principal of Achimota College, Gold Coast
- Herbert | Dennis George Ruddock | 1904-1982 | 2nd Baron Hemingford
- Papers of Dennis George Ruddock Herbert, Lord Hemingford
- Paul Davidson
- Language of description