'Introduction to ... Thoro' Bass' and 'sonatas for the violin(?) and songs'
MS. Mus. c. 8
- (fol. 3). A printed 'Introduction to ... Thoro' Bass ... By A. B.' (Edinb., 1717, folio) with pp. 7-8 in manuscript and preceded by a copy of a complimentary poem by the Master of Stormont to 'Mr. Bayne' on his Institutions of Music (beg. 'The various gifts ').
- (fol. 9). Some sonatas for the violin (?) and songs, partly by 'Signor Valentini': at fols. 11, 32 is 'Corelis 9th Soloe for the flute.'
- written in the 18th century
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Mus. c. 8, fols. 1-2]
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Mus. c. 8
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 18836
'Introduction to ... Thoro' Bass' and 'sonatas for the violin(?) and songs', written in the 18th century.
Biographical / Historical
Giuseppe Valentini (1681-1753) was a composer, violinist and poet.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 29165.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Lot 340 in part 1 of the David Laing sale, Dec. 1, 1879, where it was bought for 10s.
12 3/8 × 8 1/4 in.
- 'Introduction to ... Thoro' Bass' and 'sonatas for the violin(?) and songs'
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description