Collection of Latin sacred music of the 16th-18th cent., copied by Rev. Charles Hayward
Latin sacred music of the 16th-18th cent., copied in score by Rev. Charles Hayward (perhaps the Suffolk clergyman, 1766/7-1807) for his wife, Francessa.
a (pp. 1-12) Tommaso Baj: Miserere. For SATTB, SSAB double choir;
b (pp. 13-14) Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina: Improperia. For SATB;
c (pp. 15-26) Gregorio Allegri: Miserere. For SSATB, SSAB double choir;
(pp. 27-31) Giovanni Battista Pergolesi: 'Ad te clamamus', aria for soprano, 2 violins and continuo, from the Salve regina in C minor [Paymer 76b];
d (pp. 32-87) Franz Joseph Haydn: Extracts from the Stabat mater [Hob. XXbis]. For SATB soli, SATB chorus and orchestra: chorus, 'Virgo virginum praeclara' (pp. 32-58); aria, 'O quam tristis' (pp. 59-67); chorus, 'Quando corpus morietur'/'Paradisi gloria' (pp. 68-87);
e (pp. 88-180) Emanuele d'Astorga: Stabat mater. For SATB soli, SATB chorus, strings and continuo.
- Creation: c 1800
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark, e.g. MS. Mus. d. 293, fols. 1-2].
MS. Mus. d. 293
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 15993
Latin sacred music of the 16th-18th cent., copied in score by Rev. Charles Hayward, c 1800.
Biographical / Historical
Tommaso Baj (c 1650-1714), Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina (1525?-1594), Gregorio Allegri (1582-1652), Giovanni Battista Pergolesi (1710-1736), Franz Joseph Haydn (1732-1809) and Emanuele d'Astorga (1680-1757) were all composers. See Grove Music Online for further details.
Inscribed on p. v: 'Francessa Hayward the gift of her husband the Revd. Charles Hayward and copied for her by him'. Former shelfmark (Faculty of Music Library): M.S.L. 8.d.1 (Misc. 5).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred from the Faculty of Music Library, 1995.
vi + 182 pages; 12 staves to a page. Watermarks: PORTAL & BRIDGES (preliminary leaf, p. v); lily in shield with BR beneath (music pages). Binding: half calf with marbled paper covered boards (spine renewed).
Folio (300 × 240 mm)
- 16th century
- 17th century
- 18th century
- 19th century
- Choruses, Sacred (Mixed voices, 4 parts) with instrumental ensemble
- Choruses, Sacred (Mixed voices, 4 parts) with orchestra
- Choruses, Sacred (Mixed voices, 4 parts), Unaccompanied
- Music -- Manuscripts -- 18th century
- Music -- Manuscripts -- 19th century
- Stabat Mater dolorosa (Music)
- d'Astorga | Emanuele | 1680-1757 | composer (Person)
- Allegri | Gregorio | 1582-1652 | composer and singer (Person)
- Baj | Tommaso | c 1650-1714 | composer and singer (Person)
- Haydn | Franz Joseph | 1732-1809 | Austrian Composer (Person)
- Palestrina | Giovanni Pierluigi da | 1525?-1594 | composer (Person)
- Pergolesi | Giovanni Battista | 1710-1736 | composer (Person)
- Latin sacred music of the 16th-18th cent.
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description