Conservative Party Archive: Private papers: Sir Michael Fraser
The papers of Michael Fraser held by the Conservative Party Archive consist of a small collection of original material mainly relating to the finances of the Conservative Party (MF 1-7) and a microfilm collection of the private papers of Fraser (CPP/MF/Reels 1-117).
- Creation: 1929-1976
60.66 Linear metres (546 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries, Conservative Party Archive [followed by shelfmark, e.g. CPP/MF/1/1].
Full range of shelfmarks:
CPP/MF/1-7, CPP/MF/Reels 1-117
Collection ID (for staff)
Papers of Sir Michael Fraser, 1929-1976.
Biographical / Historical
Richard Michael Fraser, Baron Fraser of Kilmorack (1915-96) worked in the Conservative Research Department (CRD), 1946-64. He served as Director of the CRD 1959-64. He was Deputy Chair of the Conservative Party, 1964-75. Details are given in Who Was Who.
The archive of the Conservative Party was established as a source for academic study at the Bodleian Library in 1978 by an agreement made between the University of Oxford and the Conservative Party, and brought together surviving historic papers of the Party previously held in various locations including Newcastle University Library and the former Conservative Central Office in Smith Square, London. Since 1996, ownership of the archive has been vested in the Conservative Party Archive Trust. The archive includes records from all three areas of Party organisation: parliamentary, voluntary and professional.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Conservative Party
Existence and Location of Copies
The Fraser of Kilmorack Papers (CPP/MF/Reels 1-117) are held by the Hoover Institution Archives, Stanford University.
- 20th century
- Broadcasting -- Great Britain
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Elections -- Great Britain
- Europe -- Politics and government
- Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 20th century
- Industrial relations -- Great Britain
- Military -- 20th century
- Political planning
- Politicians -- Great Britan -- Correspondence
- Public opinion
- Conservative Party | Advisory Committee on Policy (Organisation)
- Conservative Party | Conservative Research Department (Organisation)
- Conservative Party | Leader's Consultative Committee (Organisation)
- Conservative Party | Official Group (Organisation)
- Conservative Party | party officials (Organisation)
- Conservative Party | Steering Committee (Organisation)
- Conservative Party (Organisation)
- Fraser | Richard Michael | 1915-1996 | Baron Fraser of Kilmorack (Person)
- Conservative Party Archive: Papers of Sir Michael Fraser
- Finding aid prepared by Emily Tarrant
- Language of description
- Script of description