Archive of Gúdbrandr Vígfússon
Archive of Gúdbrandr Vígfússon, consisting of:
- Collections for an Icelandic-English dictionary, 1840-54
- Transcripts of Icelandic manuscripts
- Letters to Vígfússon, 1865-89
- Letters to Vígfússon from German scholars, 1850-89
- Letters to Vígfússon from Icelandic scholars, 1850-89
- Letters to Vígfússon from Danish and Swedish scholars, 1854-89
- Personal papers of Vígfússon, 1847-89
- Creation: 1840-1889
1.43 Linear metres (13 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Icelandic c. 3, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Icelandic c. 3-9, d. 1-2; Eng. misc. c. 112, d. 131; German d. 2; Scandinavian d. 1
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13446
Archive of Gúdbrandr Vígfússon (1828-1889).
Biographical / Historical
Gúdbrandr Vígfússon (1828-1889) was an Icelandic scholar and author. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 47582-94.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library in 1924.
- Catalogue of the archive of Gúdbrandr Vígfússon
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2019 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description