Photocopies of Gerald Finzi's correspondence
Photocopies of correspondence of the composer Gerald Finzi (1901–1956). The originals were destroyed in a fire. Some letters are to or from Joy Finzi; letters from spouses of other correspondents are also included.
- 1915-1960, n.d.
1.8 Linear meters (12 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. 9975/1].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 9975
Photocopies of Gerald Finzi's correspondence, 1915-1960, n.d.
Biographical / Historical
Gerald Finzi (1901-1956) was a composer. Details of his life and work can be found in the Grove Music Online.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by the Finzi Trust, 22 April 1994.
Concert programmes from this archive were added to the Bodleian collection of concert programmes with details entered into the Concert Programmes Database.
- Stephen Banfield, Gerald Finzi: an English composer (London: Faber & Faber, 1997). Includes a chronological list of all the known correspondence.
- Diana McVeagh, Gerald Finzi: his life and music (Woodbridge: Boydell Press, 2010).
- Letters of Gerald Finzi and Howard Ferguson, edited by Howard Ferguson and Michael Hurd (Woodbridge: Boydell Press, 2001)
- Gerald Finzi's Letters, 1915-1956, edited by Diana McVeagh (Woodbridge: Boydell Press, 2021)
- Catalogue of photocopies of Gerald Finzi's (1901-1956) correspondence
- Finding aid prepared by Jen Patterson
- Language of description
- Script of description