Papers of Gúdbrandr Vígfússon
Papers of Gúdbrandr Vígfússon, consisting of:
- Collections for an Icelandic-English dictionary, 1840-54
- Transcripts of Icelandic manuscripts
- Letters to Vígfússon, 1865-89
- Letters to Vígfússon from German scholars, 1850-89
- Letters to Vígfússon from Icelandic scholars, 1850-89
- Letters to Vígfússon from Danish and Swedish scholars, 1854-89
- Personal papers of Vígfússon, 1847-89
Language of Materials
Icelandic, English, and German
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Icelandic c. 3].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Icelandic c. 3-9, d. 1-2; Eng. misc. c. 112, d. 131; German d. 2; Scandinavian d. 1
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13446
Biographical / Historical
Gúdbrandr Vígfússon (1828-89) was an Icelandic scholar and author. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 47582-94.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library in 1924.
- Papers of Gúdbrandr Vígfússon
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description