Liturgy of St. James, in Greek, as Celebrated on 23 Oct. on the Island of Zante
The papers comprise:
- Liturgy of St. James, in Greek, as celebrated on 23 Oct. on the island of Zante, in two copies bought on Zante in July 1894 by F.E. Brightman.
- MS. Gr. liturg. d. 5 (18th century) contains the full text, complete with decorative initials and small marginal drawings of liturgical vessels and symbols in red.
- MS. Gr. liturg e. 7 contains the Deacon's part of the liturgy, with cues of the priest's prayers and a miniature of St. James 'the brother of Jesus', written out by Dionysius Lagodetes, priest, by 1860.
- 18th-19th cent.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Gr. liturg. d. 5].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Gr. liturg. d. 5, e. 7
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13515
Biographical / Historical
Frank Edward Brightman (1856-1932) was a liturgiologist, see the Dictionary of National Biography for details.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 47377-8.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bequeathed by F.E. Brightman in 1932.
- See F. E. Brightman Liturgies Eastern and Western, i (Oxford, 1896), li-lii.
- Liturgy of St. James, in Greek, as Celebrated on 23 Oct. on the Island of Zante
- Susan Thomas
- Language of description