Estate Papers of the Pope Family
Estate papers of the Pope family, including:
- a court book for the Oxfordshire manors of Dame Elizabeth Pope, kept by Simon Parrett, steward, 1559-60
- rent accounts for the Oxfordshire manors of the Pope family, kept by Anthony Litchfield, 1629
- rental of the same Oxfordshire manors, c. 1630.
- 16th-17th century
0.33 Linear metres (3 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Top. Oxon. c. 769, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Top. Oxon. c. 769-771
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13356
Estate papers of the Pope family.
Biographical / Historical
The Pope family were Earls of Downe, and owned land in Oxfordshire.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 55053-55055.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought by the Library, Sotheby's, 29 Oct. 1975, lot 5.
- Estate Papers of the Pope Family
- Collection Level Description by Susan Thomas; EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- EAD version 2020
- Language of description
- Script of description