Two Volumes of Theological and Historical Collections in Defence of Roman Catholicism, Written by Thomas Jollet (pseudonym)
Two volumes of theological and historical collections in defence of Roman Catholicism, written by Thomas Jollet. The collections consist of glosses on verses of the New Testament by Jollet, extracts from theological works of all periods, and accounts of contemporary events concerning recusants, arranged alphabetically under 93 headings called books.
The second volume provides an account of the executions of Mark Barkworth, Roger Filcock and Anne Line, 1601; together with a list of English martyrs in chronological order and a list of persecuted English Catholics. It also includes papers relating to the imprisonment of Sir Thomas Tresham; and a copy of a treatise by, and letters of, Stephen Gardiner, Bishop of Winchester.
- Creation: [c. 1605-8]
0.22 Linear metres (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. th. b. 1, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. th. b. 1-2
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 11049
Two Volumes of Theological and Historical Collections in Defence of Roman Catholicism, Written by Thomas Jollet (pseudonym).
Biographical / Historical
Thomas Jollet (pseudonym) was a Catholic convert, and a layman with Northamptonshire connections.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 46532-3.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought by the Library, Hofmann and Freeman, cat. 21 (1968), 70.
- Barkworth | Mark | d. 1601 | Benedictine monk and English martyr (Person)
- Filcock | Roger | d. 1601 | English martyr (Person)
- Gardiner | Stephen | ?1483-1555 | Bishop of Winchester (Person)
- Jollet | Thomas | fl 1605-1608 (Person)
- Line | Anne | d. 1601 | Saint and English martyr (Person)
- Tresham | Sir | Thomas | d. 1559 | English martyr (Person)
- Two Volumes of Theological and Historical Collections in Defence of Roman Catholicism, Written by Thomas Jollet (pseudonym)
- Collection level desvription by Susan Thomas; EAD version 2019 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description