Papers of John William Ferris
Nothing to Declare, the story of his service in the Royal Air Force and as Executive Officer in Hong Kong, 1947-1967; Semper Paratus, the story of his service in the Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force; On the Record, a volume of Hong Kong press cuttings, etc.
1 volume, 1 box
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Ind. Ocn. s. 281].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Ind. Ocn. s. 281
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 1816
Biographical / Historical
John William Ferris (1920-1992) joined the Royal Air Force in 1938, serving in France/Germany, the Azores, India, Malaya and Hong Kong. He was Executive Officer in the Hong Kong Government, 1947-1967. Among other interests, he served periods as Secretary to the Association of European Civil Servants, member of the Office Management Committee of the Hong Kong Management Association, and member of the Provisional Productivity Council, Hong Kong. He also served in the Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force, 1949-1967.
Other Finding Aids
Listed as no. 681 in Manuscript Collections in Rhodes House Library Oxford, Accessions 1978-1994 (Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1996).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were donated to the library by Ferris through the Oxford Colonial Archive Project.
- 20th century
- Ferris | John William | 1920-1992 | airman and colonial administrator
- Great Britain -- Colonies -- Administration
- Great Britain. Royal Air Force -- Biography
- Great Britain. Royal Air Force -- Far East Air Force -- History
- Hong Kong (China) -- History -- 20th century
- Malaysia -- History -- 20th century
- Royal Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force
- Papers of John William Ferris
- Paul Davidson
- Language of description