Archive of Sir Alfred Zimmern
Archive and correspondence of Zimmern, mainly relating to his work for international peace, including papers concerning the League of Nations, UNESCO, Zimmern's Geneva School of International Studies, the Hartford (Connecticut) Study Center, and the Greater Hartford Council for UNESCO, with lectures, articles and broadcasts by Zimmern, and printed pamphlets and periodicals containing articles by him.
- Creation: 1883-1962
20.24 Linear metres (184 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Zimmern 1, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Zimmern 1-183, Zimmern Adds. 1
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12130, 12131
Archive of Sir Alfred Zimmern, 1883-1962.
Biographical / Historical
Sir Alfred Zimmern (1879-1957) was an internationalist and political scientist. He was educated at New College, Oxford, where he remained after graduation as lecturer in ancient history, and from 1904 to 1909 as fellow and tutor. In 1926–1930 he was deputy director of the League of Nations' Institute of Intellectual Co-operation (the forerunner of UNESCO) in Paris. In 1930 Zimmern was appointed the first Montague Burton professor of international relations at Oxford and in 1936 he published The League of Nations and the Rule of Law, and was knighted shortly afterwards. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 55753-55936.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The archive was given to the Library by Zimmern's step-daughter Edith Stonequist and her husband E.V. Stonequist, 1969-1979. The additional papers were found in New College, Oxford, and transferred to the Library in 1998.
- Zimmern | Sir | Alfred Eckhard | 1879-1957 | Knight | Political Scientist (Person)
- Geneva School of International Studies (Organisation)
- Greater Hartford Council for UNESCO | Connecticut (USA) (Organisation)
- Hartford Study Centre for World Affairs | Connecticut (USA) (Organisation)
- UNESCO | United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (Organisation)
- League of Nations (Organisation)
- Catalogue of the archive of Sir Alfred Zimmern
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris and Gemma Kennish Persello
- EAD version 2020
- Language of description
- Script of description