Archive of Sir Alfred Zimmern
Archive and correspondence of Zimmern, mainly relating to his work for international peace, including papers concerning the League of Nations, UNESCO, Zimmern's Geneva School of International Studies, the Hartford (Connecticut) Study Center, and the Greater Hartford Council for UNESCO, with lectures, articles and broadcasts by Zimmern, and printed pamphlets and periodicals containing articles by him.
20.02 linear metres (182 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Zimmern 1, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Zimmern 1-183, Zimmern Adds. 1
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12130, 12131
Archive of Sir Alfred Zimmern, 1883-1962.
Biographical / Historical
Sir Alfred Eckhard Zimmern (1879-1957), Knight, was a political scientist. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 55753-55936.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The archive was given to the Library by Zimmern's step-daughter Edith Stonequist and her husband E.V. Stonequist, 1969-1979. The additional papers were found in New College, Oxford, and transferred to the Library in 1998.
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Geneva School of International Studies
- Greater Hartford Council for UNESCO | Connecticut (USA)
- Hartford Study Centre for World Affairs | Connecticut (USA)
- League of Nations
- Political Scientists
- UNESCO | United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
- Zimmern | Sir | Alfred Eckhard | 1879-1957 | Knight | Political Scientist
- Catalogue of the archive of Sir Alfred Zimmern
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- EAD version 2020
- Language of description
- Script of description