Notebooks of Alexander Nicoll
Notebooks of Alexander Nicoll, consisting of:
- Volumes containing notes of books and articles with some quotations and comments, arranged alphabetically under subject headings
- List of books and articles on Oriental subjects, arranged alphabetically by subject
- Lists of books, arranged by author, relating to Oriental subjects
- Notes on Latin phrases
- 19th century
1.35 linear metres (27 shelfmarks)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Lat. misc. b. 9, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Lat. misc. b. 9, c. 23-46, e. 45-6
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13266
Biographical / Historical
Alexander Nicoll (1793-1828) was sub-librarian of the Bodleian, 1813-17, and Regius Professor of Hebrew, 1822-28. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 47865-91.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The notebooks were transferred from Library records in 1916.
- Notebooks of Alexander Nicoll
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2019 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description