Archive of the Buckler and Hollis Families
Drawings, prints and other papers of the Buckler and Hollis families, including:
- Topographical engravings and drawings by John Buckler, R.C. Buckler, George Buckler, and J.C. Buckler
- Engravings by Thomas and George Hollis for Monumental effigies of Great Britain, pts. i-vi
- 19th century
2.28 Linear metres (24 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Top. gen. a. 11, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Top. gen. a. 11-19, b. 65-71, c. 103, e. 131-134; Eng. lett. a. 1, c. 335, d. 351
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12824
Drawings, prints and other papers of the Buckler and Hollis families, 19th century.
Biographical / Historical
The Buckler family includes John Buckler (1770-1851), topographical artist, architect and antiquary, Richard C. Buckler (1802-1829), George Buckler (1811-1886), and John Chessell Buckler (1793-1894), architect and antiquary. The Hollis family includes Thomas Hollis (1818-1843), topographical engraver, and George Hollis (1793-1842), topographical engraver. Details for John Buckler, Thomas Hollis and George Hollis are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 54067-54090.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was bought from F.J. Carlos in 1975.
- 19th century
- Buckler | George | 1811-1886
- Buckler | John Chessell | 1793-1894 | Architect and Antiquary
- Buckler | John | 1770-1851 | topographical artist, architect, and antiquary
- Buckler | Richard C | 1802-1829
- Buckler | family
- Hollis | George | 1793-1842 | Topographical Engraver
- Hollis | Thomas | 1818-1843 | Topographical Engraver
- Hollis | family
- Topographical drawing
- Catalogue of the archive of the Buckler and Hollis Families
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2019 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description