Papers of the British Records Association (West Indies)
Wills, probates, title deeds, etc. relating to estates in the West Indies, 1815-1896.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. W. Ind. s. 60].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. W. Ind. s. 60
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 955
Biographical / Historical
Founded in 1932, the British Records Association exists to encourage and assist with the preservation, care, use and publication of historical records.
Other Finding Aids
Listed as no. 774 in Manuscript Collections in Rhodes House Library Oxford, Accessions 1978-1994 (Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1996).
The papers were initially deposited with the British Records Association as follows
- Pre-marriage settlement, Grenada, 1839, from A.F. & R.W. Tweedie, London
- Probate of John Groscourt, British Guiana, 1838, from the Department of Trade, Bankruptcy Headquarters, London
- Probate of William Rose, Jamaica, 1840, from Stileman, Neate & Topping, London
- Letters of administration and will, George James, Barbados, 1815, from Lee, Bolton and Lee, London
- Title deed, Antigua, 1829 and probate of Eliza Meertens, British Guiana, 1867, from Godden, Holme & Co., London
- Title deed, St. Christopher, 1826, provenance unknown (received from the Public Records Office, probably war salvage)
- Title deeds, Grenada, 1874-1896, from Farrar & Co., London
- Will of Anthony Cunyngham, St. Christopher, 1843, from Preston & Co., London
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were deposited at the library by the British Records Association on 14th August 1981 and 9th March 1982, except for the probate of John Groscourt, which was deposited on 16th June 1986.
- Papers of the British Records Association (West Indies)
- Paul Davidson
- Language of description