Transcripts, extracts and notes relating to the university and city of Oxford, made by and for Brian Twyne, with some notes by Anthony Wood and William Smith.
- Creation: 16th-17th century
3.30 Linear metres (30 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Twyne 1, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Twyne 1-7, 9-25, Twyne-Langbaine 1-6
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13412
Transcripts, extracts and notes relating to the university and city of Oxford, made by and for Brian Twyne.
Biographical / Historical
Brian Twyne (?1579-1644) was an antiquary. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 55453-55482.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The manuscripts were bequeathed by Twyne to the University Archives and transferred to the Bodleian Library in 1921 and 1930.
- Smith | William | c.1651-1735 | Fellow of University College, Oxford and antiquary (Person)
- Twyne | Brian | ?1579-1644 | Antiquary (Person)
- Wood | Anthony | 1632-1695 | Antiquary (Person)
- University of Oxford (Organisation)
- Twyne Manuscripts
- COllection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- EAD version 2020
- Language of description
- Script of description