Archive of Miss Emma D. Herschel and Sir William James Herschel
Archive of Miss Emma D. Herschel and Sir William James Herschel relating to Littlemeore, including:
- Attendance registers, including minutes of meetings and related papers and memoranda, of the Boys Union of the Littlemore branch of the Church of England Temperance Society, 1884-1902
- Papers relating to the Church of England Temperance Society, 1893-1901
- Papers of Emma Hershel, 1886-1900, including diary entries and memoranda
1.56 Linear metres (29 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Top. Oxon. c. 613, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Top. Oxon. c. 613, d. 860-869, e. 477, e. 588-604
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13020
Archive of Miss Emma D. Herschel and Sir William James Herschel relating to Littlemeore, 1882-1905.
Biographical / Historical
Emma Dorothea Herschel was the daughter of Sir William James Herschel, 2nd Bart (1833-1917), a Bengal civil servant (details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography).
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 54949-54977.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The archive was given to the Library, 1951-1970.
- Catalogue of the archive ofCatalogue of the archive of Miss Emma D. Herschel and Sir William James Herschel
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- EAD version 2020
- Language of description
- Script of description