Papers of Lalage Bown, OBE
- Reports, programmes, curricula, minutes, lecture texts, etc. relating to adult education in various African universities, 1949-1979
- Reports, memoranda, texts of lectures and addresses, notes, etc. relating to adult education in Africa generally, 1950-1978
- Reports, memoranda, texts of articles and lectures, printed material, press cuttings, notes, etc. relating to University education in Africa, 1955-1967
- Texts of addresses and lectures, minutes, drafts of statutes, etc. relating to African affairs, 1961-1974
- Letters, programmes, printed texts of speeches, etc. relating to international adult education
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Afr. s. 1877].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Afr. s. 1877
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 877
Biographical / Historical
Professor Lalage Bown (fl 1927-1981) worked as Resident Tutor, University College of the Gold Coast, for Trans-Volta and Togoland, 1949-1955, and at the Department of Extra-Mural Studies, Makerere College, East Uganda, 1955-1959. While in the Gold Coast she was involved in the initiation of the Awudome Residential Adult College. She was Assistant Director, then Deputy Director of Extra-Mural Studies, University of Ibadan, Nigeria, 1960-1966 and Director of Extra-Mural Studies and Professor (ad personam), University of Zambia, 1966-1970. From 1971-1976 she was Professor of Adult Education and Chief Extension Co-ordinator, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria. She held the posts of Professor and Head of the Department of Adult Education, 1977-1979 and Dean of Education, 1979-1980, University of Lagos, Nigeria. She was awarded the William Pearson Tolley Medal by Syracuse University, New York, USA, 1975 and the OBE, 1977.
Other Finding Aids
Listed as no. 799 in Manuscript Collections in Rhodes House Library Oxford, Accessions 1978-1994 (Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1996). A handlist is available for consultation in the library reading room.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were donated to the Oxford Development Records Project by Professor Bown in 1981 and transferred to the library [c1981-1982].
- Papers of Lalage Bown, OBE
- Paul Davidson
- Language of description