Archive of Thomas Ward
Archive of Thomas Ward, including:
- Correspondence of Ward, mainly concerning affairs of state of Lucca and Parma, 1847-58, including letters of Charles Louis, 1847-8
- Official papers relating to Lucca and Parma, 1814, 1844-52
- Papers relating to the marriage of Charles Ferdinand to Marie Louise de Bourbon, 1845-6, and the return and administration of the confiscated Spanish estates of Charles Louis, 1850
- Letters and papers of the Ward family, 1859-80
4.18 Linear metres (38 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Ital. c. 28, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Ital. c. 28-66
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13453
Archive of Thomas Ward (1809-1858)
Biographical / Historical
Thomas Ward (1809-1858), Baron Ward of the Austrian Empire, was minister to Charles Louis of Bourbon, Duke of Lucca and of Parma, and to his son Charles III, Duke of Parma. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 47613-51.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library in 1936.
- The papers were used by J.P.H. Myers in his Baron Ward and the Dukes of Parma (London, 1938).
- Catalogue of the archive of Thomas Ward
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2019 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description