Archive of H. H. Vaughan
Papers of H.H. Vaughan, including:
- Correspondence, 1833-1916
- Lectures as Regius Professor of Modern History at Oxford, 1849-1854
- Fragments and drafts of lectures and papers relating to attendance at Vaughan's lectures, 1850-7, n.d.
- Miscellaneous papers relating to university affairs and concerning Vaughan's resignation from the professorship, 1835-1857
- Drafts and fair copies of an unfinished philosophical work, 1870-1878
- Collections for Vaughan's New readings and renderings of Shakespeare's tragedies (3 vols., London, 1878-1886)
- Papers of and concerning Sir John Vaughan, 1799-1841
- Exercise book containing copies of letters and papers of C.R. Prinsep, concerning property in Singapore and Tasmania, 1858-1859
- Exercise book containing part of William Stubbs's inaugural lecture as Regius Professor of Modern History at Oxford, 1867
3.50 Linear metres (5 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. misc. b. 227, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. misc. b. 227-228, c. 364-373, d. 999, e. 970; Eng. hist. c. 1027, d. 458-478, d. 481, e. 339-340; Eng. lett. c. 457, d. 434-445, e. 153-156; Top. Oxon. c. 663, d. 716-717, e. 526
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 9206
Archive of H.H. Vaughan
Biographical / Historical
Henry Halford Vaughan (1811-1885) was Regius Professor of Modern History at Oxford, 1848-58. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 43083-43143.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
MS. Eng. misc. c. 372, 364-371, and 373 were donated to the Library by Mrs. Elizabeth Vaughan in 1957. The rest of the collection was donated by Dame Janet Vaughan in 1973.
- The papers were extensively used in E.G.W. Bill, University reform in nineteenth-century Oxford (Oxford, 1973)
- Catalogue of the archive of H.H. Vaughan
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2019 by Alice Whichelow
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description