Archive of Mark Pattison
Archive of Mark Pattison, including:
Diaries and journals, 1833-1884
Correspondence, 1763-1892, including:
- Correspondence between Pattison and Meta Bradley, 1879-1884
- Correspondence of Emilia Pattison, 1868-1892
- Correspondence between Mark Pattison (great-grandfather of the Rector of Lincoln College) and J.S. Raisbeck about family property, 1775-1789
- Correspondence of members of the Pattison family, 1763-1798
- Working papers, including material relating to Joseph Scaliger, Pierre-Daniel Huet and Claude Saumaise
- Creation: 1763-1892
6.93 Linear metres (63 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Pattison 7*, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Pattison 7*, 79-144
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 8610, 10207
Archive of Mark Pattison (1813-1884).
Biographical / Historical
Mark Pattison (1813-1884) was Rector of Lincoln College, Oxford, and a biographer. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 49714-80.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The archive was acquired by the Library, 1919-1964.
- Bradley | Meta | fl 1879-1884 (Person)
- Huet | Pierre Daniel | 1630-1721 | French Bishop of Avranches, scholar (Person)
- Pattison | Emilia Frances | 1840-1904 (Person)
- Pattison | Mark | 1720-1797 (Person)
- Pattison | Mark | 1813-1884 | Rector of Lincoln College Oxford and Biographer (Person)
- Saumaise | Claude | 1588-1653 | French classical scholar (Person)
- Scaliger | Joseph Justus | 1540-1609 | Dutch philologist and historian (Person)
- Catalogue of the archive of Mark Pattison
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2019 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description