Archive of Charles Viner, including:
- Notes of law cases, 1705-1744, mainly in shorthand, with names in longhand, and an index of cases in each volume, probably compiled for Viner
- Legal notes, extracts and transcripts from printed works and legal cases
- Legal papers and correspondence of Viner, ca 1680-1755
- Creation: 17th-18th century
5.83 Linear metres (53 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Viner 1, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Viner 1-53
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13448
Archive of Charles Viner (1678-1756)
Biographical / Historical
Charles Viner (1678-1756) was a legal writer. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 55483-55535.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were deposited in the Library in 1860 and became the property of the Library in 1932.
- Viner Papers
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- EAD version 2020
- Language of description
- Script of description