Collections of Sir Hugh Walpole
A collection made by Sir Hugh Walpole of manuscripts and letters of writers and artists of the late 19th and early 20th century, with some papers relating to them. Many of the letters are addressed to John Lane, and many of the papers have headings in the hand of A. J. A. Symons. The collection consists of:
- Archive of Lord Alfred Douglas, 1910-1938
- Archive of Richard Le Gallienne, 1893-1914
- Archive of Stephen Phillips, 1898-1916
- Archive of F. W. Rolfe 'Baron Corvo', 1868-1929
- Archive of A. W. Symons, 1891-1927
- Archive of William Watson, 1893-1919
- Miscellaneous, 1892-1941
- Creation: 19th-20th century
5.08 Linear metres (62 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Walpole a. 1, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Walpole a. 1-3, b. 1-7, c. 1-24, d. 1-19, e. 1-9, f. 1-3
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 7596
A collection made by Sir Hugh Walpole of manuscripts and letters of writers and artists of the late 19th and early 20th century.
Biographical / Historical
Sir Hugh Seymour Walpole (1884-1941) was a novelist and man of letters. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 55537-55602.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was bequeathed to the Library by Walpole in 1941.
- Douglas | Alfred Bruce | 1870-1945 | Lord | Poet (Person)
- Lane | John | 1854-1925 | Publisher (Person)
- Le Gallienne | Richard Thomas | 1866-1947 | Poet and Essayist (Person)
- Phillips | Stephen | 1864-1915 | Poet and Dramatist (Person)
- Rolfe | Frederick William | 1860-1913 | Author 'baron Corvo' (Person)
- Symons | Albert James Alroy | 1900-1941 | Author and Bibliophile (Person)
- Symons | Arthur William | 1865-1945 | Editor Critic and Poet (Person)
- Walpole | Sir | Hugh Seymour | 1884-1941 | Knight | Novelist and Man of Letters (Person)
- Watson | Angus William | 1858-1935 | Sir (Person)
- Collections of Sir Hugh Walpole
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- EAD version 2020
- Language of description
- Script of description