Archive of the North Family
Archive of the North Family. The largest groups of papers in the collection are the estate and personal papers of Francis North, 1st Earl of Guilford, and Frederick, 2nd Earl of Guilford. There are smaller groups of personal papers of other members of the family ranging from Edward, 1st Baron North, in the 16th century, to William, 12th Baron North, in the late 19th century. Many of the title deeds and estate papers, and some correspondence (of the Doyle family) in the collection are papers of other families whose property came to the Norths by purchase or marriage. Some papers of John Stuart, 3rd Earl of Bute, of Sir Julius Caesar, and of Clementina Walkinshaw, mistress of the Young Pretender, are also in the collection.
- Creation: 13th-20th century
26.01 Linear metres (309 boxess)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. North a. 1, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. North a. 1-17, b. 1-29, b. 31-79, c. 1-86, d. 1-71, e. 1-45, f. 1-8, f. 10-17, g. 1-4; North music c. 1, d. 1-17; North adds. b. 1, c. 1-11, e. 1-2
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13486
Archive of the North Family, Barons North and Earls of Guilford, 13th-20th century.
Biographical / Historical
North family, Barons North and Earls of Guilford. Their principal seat was Wroxton Abbey, Oxfordshire. The family included Francis North, 1st Earl of Guilford (1704-1790) and his son, Frederick, 2nd Earl of Guilford (1732-1792), better known as Lord North. Details of Francis and Frederick North are given in the Dictionary of National Biography. For further details of the members of the family included in this collection see Scope and Content.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 49362-49710.
A detailed calendar (1960) and an index to the calendar (1973) are available in the Library and at the National Register of Archives.
The archive was kept at Wroxton Abbey, Oxfordshire, until 1932.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The archive was bought by the Pilgrim Trust and given to the Library in 1932.
- Caesar | Julius | 1558-1636 | Sir | Knight Judge (Person)
- Doyle | Charles William | 1770-1842 | Sir | Knight General (Person)
- North | Edward | c 1496-1564 | 1st Baron North (Person)
- North | Francis | 1704-1790 | 1st Earl of Guilford | Lord Chancellor (Person)
- North | Frederick | 1732-1792 | 2nd Earl of Guilford | statesman (Person)
- North | William Frederick John | 1860-1938 | 12th Baron North (Person)
- Stuart | John | 1713-1792 | 3rd Earl of Bute | statesman (Person)
- Walkinshaw | Clementina | ? 1726-1802 | mistress of the Young Pretender (Person)
- Doyle | family | Bramblestown, County Kilkenny (Family)
- North | family | Barons North and Earls of Guilford (Family)
- Wroxton Abbey | Wroxton, Oxfordshire (Organisation)
- Catalogue of the archive of the North Family
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2019 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description