Archive of the Napier Family
Napier family papers, consisting of:
- Papers of Sir William Napier and his wife Caroline, 1801-1861, including correspondence, papers relating to Sir William's History of the war in the Peninsula, and papers relating to other works
- Correspondence of H.E. Fox and H.S. Fox, 1786-1842
- Papers of Col. George and Lady Sarah Napier, 1780-1874, including correspondnece, the will and probate of Colonel George, and a notebook containing lists of the correspondence of Colonel George and Lady Sarah Napier
- Papers of Sir Charles James Napier, 1800-1853, including correspondence and a notebook containing drawings and water-colours
- Papers of other members of the Napier family, 1788-1933, including miscellaneous family correspondence and papers
- Creation: 1780-1933
6.66 Linear metres (80 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. lett. c. 234, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. lett. c. 234-254, d. 230-247, d. 296-297, d. 299, e. 101-103; Eng. hist. c. 488, d. 306; Eng. misc. b. 96-99, b. 104, c. 471-480, c. 485, c. 505, e. 603-607, f. 399-402; French c. 37-38, d. 32; Ch. London and Middlesex 514, Ireland 18
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13889
Archive of the Napier Family
Biographical / Historical
The Napier family includes Sir William Francis Patrick Napier (1785-1860), general and historian; his wife Caroline Amelia (d 1860); his parents, Colonel George Napier (1751-1804) and Lady Sarah Napier (d 1826); and his brother, Sir Charles James Napier (1782-1853), general and colonial governor. Also represented in this collection are Caroline Napier's father and brother, Henry Edward Fox (1755-1811), general and colonial governor, and Henry Stephen Fox (1791-1846), diplomat. Details, for all except Caroline Napier and Lady Sarah Napier, are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 41203-80.
A detailed catalogue of the collection is available in the Library (X.Cat. 11/Napier) and at the National Register of Archives.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was given to the Library in three parts in 1962-1963.
- A number of the papers are printed in W.F.P. Napier, History of the war in the Peninsula (London, 1828-1840), H.A. Bruce, Life of General Sir William Napier (London, 1864), and W.N. Bruce, Life of General Sir Charles Napier (Edinburgh, 1885).
- Fox | Henry Edward | 1755-1811 | General colonial governor (Person)
- Fox | Henry Stephen | 1791-1846 | Diplomat (Person)
- Napier | Caroline Amelia | d 1860 (Person)
- Napier | Charles James | 1782-1853 | Sir | Knight General Colonial Governor (Person)
- Napier | George | 1751-1804 | Colonel (Person)
- Napier | Sarah | d 1826 | Lady | née Lennox, fourth daughter of the second Duke of Richmond (Person)
- Napier | William Francis Patrick | 1785-1860 | Sir | Knight General and Historian (Person)
- Catalogue of the archive of the Napier Family
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2019 by Alice Whichelow
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description