John Johnson Manuscripts
The John Johnson manuscripts consist of:
- Estate papers, domestic accounts and financial records, 1667-1902
- Papers concerning the booktrade, 17th-20th cent.
- Miscellaneous, 16th-20th cent.
- Personal papers of Johson, including correspondence relating to the collection, 17th-20th cent.
- 16th-20th cent.
8.30 Linear metres (82 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Johnson a. 1, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Johnson a. 1, b. 1-2, c. 1-38, d. 1-15, e. 1-22, f. 1-4
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13766
The Manuscripts of John Johnson (1882-1956).
Biographical / Historical
John de Monins Johnson (1882-1956) was a printer and scholar. He was Printer to the University from 1925 to 1946. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 47691-781.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The manuscripts were transferred to the Bodleian by the Oxford University Press in 1968.
- John Johnson Manuscripts
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2019 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description