Archive of J. Lawrence Hammond
Archive of J. Lawrence Hammond and of his wife Barbara, consisting of:
- Letters from Hammond to his wife, 1915-1929
- Letters to Hammond from his wife, 1901, 1912-1936
- Letters to Lawrence and Barbara Hammond, with some drafts of their replies, 1895-1948
- Diaries of Barbara Hammond, containing brief entries and household accounts, 1902-1952
- Pocket diaries of Lawrence Hammond, containing notes of appointments only, 1900-1949
Miscellaneous papers, including articles and reviews, notebooks, working papers, newspaper cuttings, and personal papers
9.85 Linear metres (95 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Hammond 1, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Hammond 1-166
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 10854
Archive of John Lawrence Le Breton Hammond (1872-1949).
Biographical / Historical
John Lawrence Le Breton Hammond (1872-1949) was a journalist and historian. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography. His wife, Lucy Barbara Hammond (1873-1961), was a historian. Details are given in Who Was Who.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 47396-47561.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library, 1962-1963.
- Catalogue of the archive of J. Lawrence Hammond
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2019 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description