Archive of H.J.R. Murray
Papers and correspondence of H.J.R. Murray, relating to chess and board games, consisting of:
- Transcripts of manuscripts and printed works, mainly copied from items owned by J.G. White
- Collections of problems and games
- Papers on chess by Murray
- Papers on chess by other writers
- Collections and notes by Murray
- Papers relating to draughts
- Papers relating to other board games
- 19th-20th century
12.32 Linear metres (112 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. H. J. Murray 1, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. H. J. Murray 1-168
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13653
Archive of Harold James Ruthven Murray (1868-1955).
Biographical / Historical
Harold James Ruthven Murray (1868-1955) was a chess player and historian of chess and board games. He was the author of A history of chess (Oxford, 1913) and A history of board games (Oxford, 1952).
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 49061-229.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library with a collection of printed books and Oriental manuscripts in 1955.
- Catalogue of the archive of H.J.R. Murray
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2019 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description