Archive of the Acland Family
The Acland papers consist mainly of the correspondence of Sir Henry Wentworth Acland. There are also groups of papers of his daughter Sarah Angelina, of his wife Sarah, of two of his sons, Sir William A. Dyke Acland, and Henry Dyke Acland, and of his brother-in-law William C. Cotton.
- Creation: 1820-1926
23.21 Linear metres (211 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Acland c. 1, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Acland c. 1-3, d. 1-201, e. 1-6, Rolls 1
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12676
Archive of the Acland family, 1820-1926.
Biographical / Historical
Sir Henry Wentworth Acland, 1st Bart. (1815-1900) was Regius Professor of Medicine at Oxford 1858-1894. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 37300-510.
A fuller description and detailed index are available in the Library and at the National Register of Archives.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given by H. D. and Sarah A. Acland, 1926-1927
- Acland | Henry Dyke | 1850-1936 (Person)
- Acland | Sir | Henry Wentworth | 1815-1900 | 1st Baronet | physician (Person)
- Acland | Sarah | d 1878 | Wife of 1st Baronet (Person)
- Acland | Sarah Angelina | 1849-1930 | Fellow of Royal Photographic Society and Royal Society of Arts (Person)
- Acland | Sir | William Alison Dyke | 1847-1924 | 2nd Baronet Admiral (Person)
- Cotton | William Charles | 1813-1879 | Writer On Bees (Person)
- Acland | family | baronets | Oxford (Family)
- Catalogue of the archive of the Acland family
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2019 by Kelly Burchmore
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description