Archive of H.A.L. Fisher
Fisher's archive consists of:
- diaries and travel journals;
- correspondence, mainly relating to academic and political affairs;
- speeches, lectures, articles and notebooks;
- drafts of published and unpublished works, with related correspondence;
- printed material;
- and family correspondence and papers.
- Creation: 1870-1947
16.4 Linear metres (235 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Fisher 1, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Fisher 1-251
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13893
Archive of Herbert Albert Laurens Fisher (1865-1940), historian and statesman.
Biographical / Historical
Herbert Albert Laurens Fisher (1865-1940) was a historian, statesman and Warden of New College, Oxford, 1925-40. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 46901-47151.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library in 1958 and 1983.
- Fisher | Herbert Albert Laurens | 1865-1940 | historian and statesman (Person)
- Oxford University | New College (Organisation)
- Catalogue of the archive of H.A.L. Fisher
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2019 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description