Archive of Sir Mark Aurel Stein (1862-1943)
Stein's archive consists of:
- Letters to P.S. Allen and Helen Allen, 1898-1943
- Correspondence with F.H. Andrews, 1899-1943
- General correspondence
- Family correspondence
- Notebooks, field diaries, personal diaries and 'personal narratives', 1889-1943
- Miscellaneous and personal papers, including catalogue of Stein's library
- Correspondence and papers concerning expeditions, mainly in Central Asia, and to archaeology and survey work in India
- Drafts of, and papers and correspondence concerning, publications
- Maps and photographs
- Creation: 1854-1953
43.23 Linear metres (393 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Stein 1, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Stein 1-458
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13928
Archive of Sir Mark Aurel Stein (1862-1943).
Biographical / Historical
Sir Mark Aurel Stein (1862-1943) was an archaeologist and explorer. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 53042-53520
A fuller description is available in the Library.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were bequeathed by Stein to the Indian Institute, Oxford, 1943
- The biography by Jeanette Mirsky, Sir Aurel Stein, archaeological explorer (Chicago & London, 1977) is based partly on these papers.
- Catalogue of the archive of Sir Mark Aurel Stein (1862-1943)
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2019 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description