A collection of autographs made in 1865-74 by H.R.H. Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany (d. 1884), in three volumes:
- Vol. I consists chiefly of autographs of contemporary English men and women
- Vol. II is principally historical English and French autographs, and is largely grangerized
- Vol. III is mainly blank, but contains a few historical autographs and signatures of Oxford and other friends of the Prince, A.D. 1870-5
An index-volume accompanied the donation and is kept with the library papers, but in order to facilitate reference the entries have, with a few unimportant exceptions, been incorporated in the index to the Summary Catalogue. Only a limited selection of the writers are here noticed. Throughout the description the term 'signature' implies that the autograph is a signature only; the dates are those of autograph letters, and 'undated' implies that the year is not given.
- Creation: Written principally in 1865-1874
0.80 Linear metres (4 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Autogr. b. 3, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Autogr. b. 3-5
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 11735
Biographical / Historical
H.R.H. Prince Leopold (1853-1884), Duke of Albany.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. VI, nos. 35573-35575.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was deposited in the Bodleian early in 1885 by H.R.H. the Duchess of Albany, and was presented by her November 12, 1912.
- Albany Autographs
- EAD version 2020 by Alice Whichelow
- EAD version 2020
- Language of description
- Script of description