Papers of Charles James Bagenal
Correspondence, diary and photographs of C.J. Bagenal comprising typescript copies of his letters home during the Boer War (1900-1902), with handwritten introduction and notes made in 1951; diary (typed at a later date) covering the East African Campaign (1915-1917), and three albums of photographs of Tanganyika, South Africa and Ireland (1914-1941).
4 volumes, 1 file
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS.Afr.s.2351].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 530
Biographical / Historical
Charles James Bagenal, OBE (1919), was born in 1877, the son of B.F. Bagenal of Benekerry House, county Carlow, Ireland. He was educated at St. Mark's School, Windsor, and Camborne School of Mines. Bagenal served in the 45th (Dublin) Company of the Imperial Yeomanry (mounted infantry) during the South African War (1900-1902), and in the South African Horse, 1st Mounted Brigade, during World War One (where he took part in campaigns in German South West Africa, 1914-1915, and German East Africa, 1915-1918). In 1917 Bagenal became District Political Officer in Tanganyika Territory, later becoming Senior Commissioner (1920) and Provincial Commissioner (1926). He retired from the Colonial Administrative Service in 1931.
Other Finding Aids
The library holds a card index of all manuscript collections in its reading room.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated in January 2002.
- 20th century
- Africa -- Pictorial works
- Bagenal | Charles James | 1877-1955 | Soldier and Colonial Administrator
- Colonial administrators -- Tanganyika
- Great Britain | Colonial Administrative Service
- Ireland -- Pictorial works
- South African War, 1899-1902 -- Personal narratives
- Tanganyika -- Officials and employees
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Campaigns -- German East Africa -- Personal narratives
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Campaigns -- German East Africa -- Pictorial works
- Papers of Charles James Bagenal
- Language of description