E.L. Segar: 11 hymn tunes
MS. Mus. e. 56
E.L. Segar: 11 hymn tunes. Score in ink, apparently autograph, except for the last hymn, which is presumably in the hand of the arranger, G.H. Segar. The tunes are not given names, but identified by the hymns for which they were intended. The last was published, York: Mrs. Segar, [c 1935].
- (fol. 1r+v) A litany for the war. Words by V.S.S. Coles. Set to two tunes, the first by H.A. Branscombe, the second by E.L. Segar. Branscombe's tune was published (Oxford: Blackwell, 1914);
- (fol. 2) O what their joy and their glory must be;
- (fol. 3) Now the day is over;
- (fol. 4) Lord, while for all mankind we pray;
- (fol. 5) God, that madest earth and heaven;
- (fol. 6) Jesu, gentlest Saviour;
- (fol. 7) Still will we trust;
- (fol. 8) Jesu, my Lord, my God, my All;
- (fol. 9) Thine for ever;
- (fol. 10) Jesu, name all names above;
- (fol. 11) [O little town of Bethlehem] 15 E[nglish] H[ymnal], E.L. Segar, arr. G.H. Segar.
- c 1915-1935?
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark, e.g. MS. Mus. e. 56, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Mus. e. 56
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 16004
11 hymn tunes by E.L. Segar. Score in ink, apparently autograph, c 1915-1935?
Biographical / Historical
Bibliographical details unknown.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
24 leaves (many blank); 6 staves to a page.
- Hymn tunes by E.L. Segar
- EAD version 2019 by Hannah Jordan and Margaret Czepiel
- Language of description
- Script of description