Volume of parochial psalmody, consisting largely of 18th-cent. anthems
MS. Mus. e. 55
Volume of parochial psalmody, consisting of a service and anthems, mostly of the early 18th cent. For SATB, without indication of accompaniment. Ink score in one hand except for fol. 84.
- (fols. 1- 12v) Orlando Gibbons: Short service in F: 'Te Deum by Mr Gibbons';
- (fols. 13-24) [Gibbons: Benedictus in F];
- (fols. 24v-31v) [Gibbons: Magnificat in F];
- (fols. 32-35) [Gibbons: Nunc dimittis in F];
- (fols. 36-41) [John Chetham]: 'An anthem taken out of the 105 Ps. vses 1,2,3,4,7,8'. Begins: O give thanks unto the Lord;
- (fols. 41v-45v) [John Chetham]: 'Anthem taken out of the 13 Ps.' Begins: How long wilt thou forget me, O Lord';
- (fols. 46-52) 'Anthem taken out of the 47 Ps. by Richard Sawyer. O clap your hands together all ye people'. Begins: O sing unto God with a voice of melody';
- (fols. 52v-56v) 'An anthem taken out of the 12. Isaiah by Mr. Knepp [i.e. William Knapp]'. Begins: O Lord I will praise thee';
- (fols. 57-59v) [John Hilton or Richard Farrant, attrib.]: 'Lord for thy tender mercy sake';
- (fol. 60) 'Lord thou art become gracious'. For SB. 1st 7 bars only. Abandoned;
- (fols. 60v-70v) 'Anthem Psalm the 29 by John Smith'. Verse anthem. Begins: Bring unto the Lord O ye mighty;
- (fols. 71-78v) 'A [sic] anthem out of the 104 Psalm'. Begins: Praise the Lord O my soul';
- (fols. 79-83v) 'An anthem taken of the 81 Ps. by Mr Purcel'. Begins: Sing we merrily unto God our strength'. Attributed to Henry Purcell [Z. D7];
- (fol. 84r+v) 'A hymn for Christmas Day'. Tenor part only. Begins: Let Hallelujah from the earth ascend.
- c 1730?
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark, e.g. MS. Mus. e. 55, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Mus. e. 55
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 16045
Volume of parochial psalmody, consisting of a service and anthems, c 1730?
Biographical / Historical
Biographical details unknown.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given by Peter Ward Jones, 2009.
84 leaves; 4 staves to a page. Binding: limp vellum over paper boards.
Oblong octavo (120 × 210 mm)
- 18th century
- Chetham | John | 1688-1746 | psalmodist
- Choruses, Sacred (Mixed voices, 4 parts)
- Evening service music
- Gibbons | Orlando | 1583-1625 | composer
- Knapp | William | 1698/9-1768 | psalmodist
- Morning service music
- Music -- Manuscripts -- 18th century
- Purcell | Henry | c 1659-1695 | composer
- Parochial psalmody, consisting largely of anthems
- EAD version 2019 by Hannah Jordan and Margaret Czepiel
- Language of description
- Script of description