Musical settings of Walter de la Mare's poems sent to him by their composers
MS. Mus. c. 549
Settings of Walter de la Mare's poems for voice and piano, except where noted. Undated autograph scores, except where noted, comprising:
- (fols. 1-7) Brock and Blanche Brace: 'Silver'. 'Written in Toronto, May 12, 1948. Copied for Mr. de la Mare by Brock Bruce ... Feb. 28, 1951'
- (fols. 8-10) Brock Brace: 'Nod'
- (fols. 11-12) Frank L. Kay: 'Someone'
- (fols. 15v-17) H.O.S. Muddle: 'Fare well'
- (fols. 19-38v) Peggy Lea Pearlman: 3 songs, 'Autumn', 'The ghost', 'Music'. Part autograph, part photostats of autograph
- (fols. 39-41v) B. Langdale: 'The dreamer'
- (fols. 43-44) M. Polijoy(?): 'Clouded with snow'
- (fols. 45-46v) H. Rigley: 'Song of shadows'
- (fols. 47-49) Anonymous: 2 songs: 'Bunches of grapes', 'John Mouldy'
- (fols. 51-52) Thomas Tresham (pseudonym of David Barlow): 'An epitaph'
- (fols. 53-58) Douglas J. Sandin: 'Silver'. Photostats of autograph
- (fols. 59-62) Wynyard Whitaker: 'A song of enchantment'
- (fols. 63-81) Elmira Grogan: 5 songs, 'Blow blow ...', words by Shakespeare, 'Good Friday', words by Madelaine Caron Rock, 'The heart of a rose', words by Alfred Noyes, 'I sing of a maiden', words English traditional, 'Song of the mad prince', words by Walter de la Mare. Photostats of autographs, all marked 'copyright 1949'
- (fol. 83) H.L.J.: 'A true blue broadside of "'14"'
- (fols. 85v-86) Ruth Redington Griswold: 'Bunches of grapes'. Photostat of autograph
- (fols. 88-89v) Cecil Armstrong Gibbs: 'Portrait: impression for pianoforte'. Dated, Aug 1948. Inscribed to De la Mare
- (fols. 90-101) Cecil Armstrong Gibbs: 'As Lucy went a-walking'. For 2-part chorus of equal voices and piano. Op. 121. Pencil draft, dated at end, 10.1.48. Published (London: Curwen, 1949).
- c 1940-1951
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark, e.g. MS. Mus. c. 549, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Mus. c. 549
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 16075
Musical settings of Walter de la Mare's poems sent to him by their composers, c 1940-1951.
Biographical / Historical
Walter de la Mare (1873-1956) was a poet and writer. See the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography for further details.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought from the De la Mare family, 1978-1980.
- 20th century
- Barlow | David | 1927-1975 | composer
- Composers -- England -- Facsimiles
- Composers -- England -- Manuscripts
- Gibbs | Cecil Armstrong | 1889-1960 | composer
- Music -- Manuscripts -- 20th century
- Songs with piano
- Walter de la Mare, 1873-1956 -- Musical settings
- de la Mare | Walter | 1873-1956 | author and poet
- Music manuscripts belonging to Walter de la Mare
- EAD version 2019 by Hannah Jordan and Margaret Czepiel
- Language of description
- Script of description