Guard-book containing copies of Newdigate Prize poems
Guard-book containing copies of Newdigate Prize poems, 1960 onwards:
- (fols. 1-4) 'Words and Wings', John Leopold Fuller, 1960;
- (fols. 5-6) 'May-Morning', Stanley Johnson, 1962;
- (fols. 7-9) 'Disease', James Hamilton-Paterson, 1964;
- (fols. 10-12) 'Fear', Peter Jay, 1965;
- (fols. 13-41) 'Japan Opened', James M. Fenton, 1968;
- (fols. 42-57) 'Instructions to a Printer: a poem in three parts', William Radice, 1970;
- (fol. 58) 'The Ancestral Face', Neil Rhodes, 1972;
- (fols. 59-61) 'The Wife's Tale', Christopher M. Mann, 1973;
- (fols. 62-70) 'Death of a Poet', Alan Hollinghurst, 1974;
- (fols. 71-89) 'The Tides', Andrew Motion, 1975;
- (fols. 90-98) 'Some thoughts on Berthe Morisot's "Le Berceau", what it is and what it isn't, by Jeremy FACE', 1976;
- (fols. 99-103) 'The Fool', Michael King, 1977;
- (fols. 104-108) 'Souvenirs', Gordon Wattles, 1982;
- (fols. 109-116) 'Fear: The Martyrdom of Thomas Cranmer', James A. Leader, 1984;
- (fols. 117-118) 'Epithalamion', W. D. Morris, 1986;
- (fols. 121-128) 'Memoirs of Tiresias', Bruce John Gibson, 1987;
- (fols. 129-130) 'Palimpsest at Thebes', Michael Felix Suarez, 1987.
- Creation: 1960-1987
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Top. Oxon. c. 520, fols. 1-2].
MS. Top. Oxon. c. 520
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 9071, 9399, 10208, 10468, 11222, 18209
Guard-book containing copies of Newdigate Prize poems, 1960 onwards.
Biographical / Historical
John Fuller (b.1937) is a poet and author.
Stanley Patrick Johnson (b.1940) is an author and former politician.
James Hamilton-Paterson (b.1941) is a poet and novelist.
Peter Jay (b.1945) is a classicist and the editorial director of Anvil Press.
James Martin Fenton (b.1949) is a poet, journalist and literary critic.
William Radice (b.1951) is an orientalist.
Neil Rhodes (b.1953) is a professor of English literature.
Christopher Michael Zithulele Mann (b.1948) is a poet.
Alan James Hollinghurst (b.1954) is a novelist, poet, short story writer and translator.
Sir Andrew Motion (b.1952) is a poet, novelist, and biographer.
Michael King (fl. 1972-...) is a writer.
Gordon D. Wattles (fl. 1982).
James A. Leader (b.1964) is poet, novelist and translator.
W. D. Morris (fl. 1986).
Bruce John Gibson (fl. 1987-...) is a classicist.
Michael Felix Suarez (b.1960) is a historian of the book.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, no. 54639.
P.S. Spokes, Summary Catalogue of Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Relating to the City, County and University of Oxford: Accessions from 1916 to 1962 (Oxford, 1964), p. 60.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received in accordance with University statute, 1952 onwards.
- Guard-book containing copies of Newdigate Prize poems
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description