Autograph music manuscripts of Herbert Howells
MS. Mus. b. 117
- (fols. 1-2v) 'Lethe. A song for tenor or soprano [and piano]. Poem by H.D. (Hilda Doolittle)'. Ink score, dated at end, 7 Jan 1936. Published in Herbert Howells, A collection of songs for voice and piano ed. Scott Crowne (London: Novello, ).
- (fols. 3-4v) 'The little stone house'. Song for low voice and piano. Words by Walter de la Mare. Ink score, dated at end, 17 Jan 1936. An earlier, but very similar, version of this song is found in Royal College of Music MS. 4707d, dated Dec. 1920. A version was published in A garland for De la Mare (London: Thames Publishing, [1995?]).
- (fols. 5-6v) 'Minuet' for piano. Pencil score. Title apparently in the hand of Mrs Félicia Galletta, and marked 'collected at RCM, 19 Oct. 1939'. Music written only on fols. 5r and 6v.
- 1-17 Jan 1936-1939
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark, e.g. MS. Mus. b. 117, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Mus. b. 117
Former reference: MS. Mus. b. 47
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 9952
Three pieces by Herbert Howells in autograph manuscript, 1936-1939.
Biographical / Historical
Herbert Howells (1892-1983) was an English composer and teacher. See Grove Music Online for further details.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought from Mrs Félicia Galletta (pupil of the composer, 1939-1945), 17 January 1994.
- Autograph music manuscripts of Herbert Howells
- EAD version 2019 Hannah Jordan and Margaret Czepiel
- Language of description
- Script of description