Papers of Mark Pattison, consisting of:
- Diaries, 1831-1879
- Accounts, 1841-1867
- Correspondence, 1830-1883
- Miscellaneous papers
Other correspondents whose letters have been entered in the index to the Summary Catalogue:
- Appleton, Chas. Edw., ed. Academy
- Arnold, rev. Thos. Kerchever
- Brodrick, hon. Geo. Chas., warden of Merton coll.
- Chapman, John, ed. Westminster Review
- Christie, Richd. Copley
- Clerk-Maxwell, prof. James
- Cook, John Douglas, ed. Saturday Review
- Cope, Chas. West, R.A.
- Davies, James, headmaster of Ludlow
- Elwin, rev. Whitwell, ed. Quarterly Review
- Estcourt, Edgar, canon of St. Chad's, Birmingham
- Fowler, Thos., pres. of C.C.C., Oxford
- Fraser, James, bp. of Manchester
- Fremantle, Wm. Hen., dean of Ripon
- Goldsmid, Anna Maria
- Grainger, Richard, architect
- Greenhill, Wm. Alexander, M.D.
- Hackman, rev. Alfred
- Haddan, rev. Arthur West
- Hannah, archd. John, headmaster of Glenalmond
- Harwood, Philip, ed. Saturday Review
- Hawkins, Edw., provost of Oriel coll., Oxford
- Hart, rev. dr. Fenton J. A.
- Jelf, rev. Wm. Edw.
- Johnson, Manuel, Radcliffe observer
- Kay, rev. Wm., principal of Bishop's coll., Calcutta
- Kay-Shuttleworth, sir James Phillips
- Kaye, John, bp. of Lincoln
- Lancaster, Henry Hill
- Latham, Peter Mere, M.D.
- Legge, prof. James
- Longley, Chas. Thos., archbp. of Canterbury
- Maitland, John Gorham
- Michell, Richd., principal of Hertford coll., Oxford
- Monro, David Binning, provost of Oriel coll., Oxford
- Morris, John Brande
- Ornsby, prof. Robert
- Pearson, Chas. Hen.
- Perry, archd. George Gresley
- Reeve, Henry, ed. Edinburgh Review
- Rolleston, prof. George
- Sandars, Thos. Collett
- Sayce, prof. Archibald Hen.
- Scott, rev. Wm., ed. Christian Remembrancer
- Seager, prof. Chas.
- Sewell, J. E., warden of New coll., Oxford
- Smith, R. Bosworth
- Smith, sir William Solly, Thomas
- Spottiswoode, Wm., publisher
- Stebbing, rev. dr. Hen., ed. Athenaum
- Thorpe, archd. Chas.
- Valpy, rev. Francis E. J.
- Ward, Adolphus Wm., master of Peter-house, Cambridge
- Wellesley, Hen., principal of New Inn Hall, Oxford
- Williams, rev. George
- Wilson, rev. Hen. Bristow
- Wise, John Richd.
- Creation: 1815-1883
7.04 Linear metres (64 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Pattison 1].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Pattison 1-64, 66-78
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13514
Biographical / Historical
Mark Pattison (1813-1884) was Rector of Lincoln College, Oxford, and a biographer. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. VI, nos. 35604-35681.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
On 13 June 1884, seven weeks before his death, Rev. Mark Pattison presented to the Library a chest of papers upon condition that it should not be opened before 1910. The box was opened on 19 March 1912.
MS. Pattison 65 (35668- Betting book of Lincoln college senior common-room, 1809-42) was returned to Lincoln College in 1945.
- Pattison Papers
- Collection level description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2020 by Alice Whichelow
- EAD version 2020
- Language of description
- Script of description