The Carte Calendar
A calendar of the Carte collection of historical papers, received chiefly in 1753-1778. The calendar gives an abstract of every paper in the Carte collection in chronological order.
8.25 linear metres (75 boxes)
Language of Materials
English, Italian, French, Welsh, Latin
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Carte Calendar 1].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Carte Calendar 1-75
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 19042
A calendar of the Carte collection of historical papers, written in 1877-1883 by Edward Edwards.
Biographical / Historical
Edward Edwards (1812–1886) was a librarian and writer.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, nos. 29301-29375.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This was formed at the expense of the Library by Edward Edwards in 1877-1883.
- See The Bodleian Library in 1882-87, a report from the Librarian (Oxford, 1888), p. 25.
- Attorney General of Ireland | Ireland
- Butler | James | 1610-1688 | 1st Duke of Ormonde | soldier and statesman
- Carte | Thomas | 1686-1754 | historian
- Davies | Sir | John | 1569-1626 | Knight | Attorney General of Ireland and Poet
- Edwards | Edward | 1812–1886 | librarian and writer
- English Civil War, 1642-1649
- Fitzwilliam | Sir | William | 1526-1599 | Knight | Lord Deputy of Ireland
- Ireland -- Politics and Government -- 16th century
- Ireland -- Politics and government -- 17th century
- Irish Confederation, 1642-1648
- Lord Deputy of Ireland | Ireland
- Lord Lieutenant of Ireland | Ireland
- Middleton | Charles | c. 1650-1719 | 2nd Earl of Middleton | statesman
- Montagu | Edward | 1625-1672 | 1st Earl of Sandwich | admiral
- Nairne | David | fl 1720 | Secretary to the Pretender
- Wharton | Philip | 1613-1696 | 4th Baron Wharton
- Wharton | Thomas | 1648-1716 | 1st Marquess of Wharton
- The Carte Calendar
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- EAD version 2020
- Language of description