The Carte Calendar
A calendar of the Carte collection of historical papers, received chiefly in 1753-1778. The calendar gives an abstract of every paper in the Carte collection in chronological order.
8.25 Linear metres (75 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Carte Calendar 1].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Carte Calendar 1-75
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 19042
A calendar of the Carte collection of historical papers, written in 1877-1883 by Edward Edwards.
Biographical / Historical
Edward Edwards (1812–1886) was a librarian and writer.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, nos. 29301-29375.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This was formed at the expense of the Library by Edward Edwards in 1877-1883.
- See The Bodleian Library in 1882-87, a report from the Librarian (Oxford, 1888), p. 25.
- Attorney General of Ireland | Ireland
- Butler | James | 1610-1688 | 1st Duke of Ormonde | soldier and statesman
- Carte | Thomas | 1686-1754 | historian
- Davies | Sir | John | 1569-1626 | Knight | Attorney General of Ireland and Poet
- Edwards | Edward | 1812–1886 | librarian and writer
- Fitzwilliam | Sir | William | 1526-1599 | Knight | Lord Deputy of Ireland
- Great Britain -- History -- Civil War, 1642-1649
- Ireland -- Politics and Government -- 16th century
- Ireland -- Politics and government -- 17th century
- Irish Confederation, 1642-1648
- Lord Deputy of Ireland | Ireland
- Lord Lieutenant of Ireland | Ireland
- Middleton | Charles | c. 1650-1719 | 2nd Earl of Middleton | statesman
- Montagu | Edward | 1625-1672 | 1st Earl of Sandwich | admiral
- Nairne | David | fl 1720 | Secretary to the Pretender
- Wharton | Philip | 1613-1696 | 4th Baron Wharton
- Wharton | Thomas | 1648-1716 | 1st Marquess of Wharton
- The Carte Calendar
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- EAD version 2020
- Language of description
- Script of description