Divisions and dance tunes with a copy of Christopher Simpson's The Division-Violist (London, 1659)
Music manuscripts bound into a printed volume of Christopher Simpson's The Division-Violist (London: Printed by William Godbid, and sold by John Playford, 1659) containing 72 pieces - divisions and grounds for solo bass viola da gamba, dances and other pieces for solo violin, and songs for voices with string accompaniment by various composers including Roger L'Estrange, John Jenkins, Johann Christian Schickhardt and others.
Nos. 1-10 were copied by one careful hand. An 18th-century hand, possibly that of Richard Ramsbottom [Ramsbotham], who owned this volume in 1724, filled spaces before no. 13 (volume reversed). Works by John Jenkins were added in his own hand at the end of the volume (reversed).
Contents as described by Margaret Crum:
1-3. (pp. 68-80) Divisions by R.L. [Roger L’Estrange]
4. (pp. 81-86) Anonymous divisions, followed by divisions by D. W. on the same theme.
5-6. (pp. 87-91) 2 anonymous sets of divisions.
7-9. (pp. 93-108) John Jenkins, V. da G. Soc. 7, 8, 9.
10. (pp. 109-114) Anonymous divisions.
11. (pp. 116-117) R.L. s[cripsit].
12. (pp. 160-156 rev.) John Jenkins, Preludium etc., V. da G. Soc. 10, and divisions, V. da G. Soc. 3, in his own hand with some fingering.
(pp. 157-145 rev.) Minuets, marches, etc. for treble instrument.
13. (pp. 146-134 rev.) Six Sonatas for 2 Viol[in]s... by Mr. Christian Schickard being his first [x crossed out] opera. Violin parts copied consecutively.
Contents as revised by Margaret Crum in 1985:
1. (pp. 68-71) Division by R.L. [MC 1-3]
2. (pp. 72-77) Division by R.L. [MC 1-3]
3. (pp. 77-80) Division by R.L.E. [Roger L’Estrange] [MC 1-3]
4. (pp. 81-86) Division by R.L. ; 2 anonymous sets and 1 by P.W. / D.W. [MC 4]
5. (p. 86) Division [to go with 4?].
6. (p. 86) Division for violin in later hand.
7. (pp. 87-88) Divisions [MC 5-6]
8. (pp. 89-91) Divisions [MC 5-6]
9. (pp. 93-95) Divisions by John Jenkins [MC 7]
10. (p. 95) Divisions for violin - 'Ground watch'.
11-12. (pp. 96-108) Divisions by John Jenkins (2 sets) [MC 8-9]
13-14. (pp. 108-114) Divisions (3 anonymous sets) [MC 10]
15. (p. 112) Minuet
16. (p. 113) Minuet 'Sweet Nancy'
17-18. (p. 114) 2 Minuets
19. (pp. 115-116) Divisions - R.L. s[cripsit] [MC 11]
20-22. (p. 117) 3 Minuets
23. (p. 117) 'John Adcock of Padjam' - Edward Marsdin
24. (p. 118) Minuet
25. (p. 118) A Scotch Tune
26. (p. 118) The Carpenters Maggoat
27. (p. 118) [Untitled]
28-30. (p. 119) 3 Minuets
31. (p. 119) Ould Roger [de] Coverl[e]y
32. (p. 160 rev.) Preludium - John Jenkins - autograph [MC 12]
33. (p. 160 rev.) Billey come high thee[e] home
34. (pp. 159-156 rev.) [Divisions] - John Jenkins - autograph [MC 12]
35. (p. 159 rev.) No more Invade
36. (p. 155 rev.) M. Playford's Ground
37. (p. 155 rev.) Pritey Salley [Pretty Sally]
38. (p. 155 rev.) Minuit - KJ [KI?]
39. (p. 154 rev.) Sa[i]nt Martin Leane [= Lane]
40. (p. 154 rev.) Minuit
41. (p. 154 rev.) The Maidens Rosolves
42. (p. 153 rev.) A March
43. (p. 153 rev.) The Empir[e] i[n] the[e] Moone
44. (p. 153 rev.) A Rigadoone
45-47. (p. 152 rev.) 3 Minuets
48. (p. 152 rev.) Barnabey play your caire [= care] away
49. (pp. 151-149 rev.) All joy to great Caesar
50. (p. 148 rev.) The Parson w[i]th peas [= peace?]
51. (p. 148 rev.) Minuit
52. (p. 148 rev.) A Scotch Tune [imperfect]
53. (p. 147 rev.) The Watch Ground
54. (p. 147 rev.) Scotch Hornpipe [imperfect]
55-60. (pp. 146-134 rev.) Six Sonatas for Two Violins - M. Christian Schickard
61. (pp. 133-131 rev.) From Rosey Bowers - Purcell [imperfect]
62. (pp. 128-127 rev.) 'Gen[e]rous wine' - James Crawes
63. (p. 126 rev.) 'Let ambition fire thy mind' - John weldon
64. (p. 126 rev.) A favo[u]rite Minuet - Lovely charming faire
65. (pp. 125-124 rev.) A favo[u]rite Minuet - While I'm a pl[e]ading
66-67. (p. 123 rev.) [Untitled]
68. (p. 123 rev.) A Rigadoon
69. (p. 123 rev.) [Untitled]
70. (p. 122 rev.) A Minuet
71. (p. 122 rev.) [Untitled]
- Creation: mid-17th - mid-18th cent.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. [Vet.] Mus. 184 c.8].
[Vet.] Mus. 184 c.8
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 17089
Divisions and dance tunes with a copy of Christopher Simpson's The Division-Violist (London, 1659), mid-17th - mid-18th cent.
Biographical / Historical
John Jenkins (1592-1678) was an English composer and viol player. See Grove Music Online for further details.
Johann Christian Schickhardt (c 1681-1762) was a German composer and instrumentalist. See Grove Music Online for further details.
Roger L’Estrange (1616–1704) was an amateur musician. See Grove Music Online for further details.
Other Finding Aids
The printed volume was bought by John Covel (1638-1722) of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, in 1660. Owned by Richard Ramsbottom [Ramsbotham] in 1724.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Acquisition details unknown.
- Andrew Ashbee, 'Bodleian Library, printed book Mus. 184 c.8 re-visited', The Viol, no. 2 (Spring 2006), pp. 18-21.
- Viola da Gamba Society of Great Britain, Thematic index of music for viols.
Manuscripts bound at the end of a printed volume. Leaves rulled with 10 5-lined staves with black marginal ruling.
- Divisions and dance tunes with a copy of Christopher Simpson's 'The Division-Violist' (London, 1659)
- EAD version 2019 by Hannah Jordan and Margaret Czepiel
- Language of description
- Script of description