Lincolnshire papers, collected by mr. H. W. Ball of Barton on Humber about 1830-60:
- There is an index of places at fol. 649, and the chief collections are for the town of Barton on Humber (fols. 1-476), Barrow (fol. 477), Brocklesby (fol. 540), Thornton Curtis (fol. 480)
- At fol. 412 is an account of the history and antiquities of Barton by William Smith Hesleden, about 1850: and most of the papers, manuscript and printed, relate to the neighbourhood of that town in the 18th and 19th centuries
- A few older papers are at fols. 172, 342, 384, cf. 265
- Creation: Written chiefly in the first half of the 19th century
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Top. Lincs b. 1, fols. 1-2]
MS. Top. Lincs b. 1
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 20499
Biographical / Historical
Mr. H. W. Ball (fl. 19th century) of Barton on Humber.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 30730
The collection was bought from mr. Ball by mr. Gillyatt Sumner of Woodmansey, near Beverley, perhaps in 1860, see fols. 642-646b.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Perhaps acquired by the Library about 1876, see nos. 30168, 30301.
17 3/8 × 10 7/8 in.
- Lincolnshire papers
- EAD version 2020 by Alice Whichelow
- Language of description
- Script of description