'A Booke of Psalme Tunes...'
'A Booke of Psalme Tunes with directions by the Rull how to sing them. Taken [i.e. the Directions] out of the works of John Playford by Edmund Dirrick [Parish Clerk of Ubley, Somerset] 1696 price 2s'. 3-part settings for the Old Version, with melody in the tenor.
On fols. 3-5 is a letter to Benjamin Jouxon, Rector of Ubley [1692-1716]. On fols. 6-10 is an address 'to all that learne... the Rull', based on J. Playford's Introduction to the Skill of Musick. 'The second part of the Rull' is on fols. 29-30. Doxologies for different measures are on fols. 30v-31v.
Tunes, named as in Ravenscroft's Whole Booke of Psalmes, 1621, unless otherwise stated.
- 'Yorke'. Missing.
- 'Oxford'. Missing
- (fol. 11) 'Low Duch'. Psalm XXIII
- (fol. 11v) 'Winchester'. Psalm LXXXIV
- (fol. 12) 'Cambrig short'. Ravenscroft's 'London'. Psalm XXV
- (fol. 12v) 'Winsser'. Psalm XLIII
- (fol. 13) 'Cambrig larg'. See 5. Psalm II
- (fol. 13v) 'Worcester', as in Playford's Psalms & Hymns in Solemn Musick of 4 parts, 1671. Psalm XXVI
- (fol. 14) 'Canterbury'. Not Ravenscroft's nor Playford's 'Canterbury'. Psalm LXVII
- (fol. 14v) 'Westminster', as in Playford, op. cit. 1671. Psalm CXLI
- (fol. 15) 'Saint Mary', as in Playford, op. cit. 1671. Psalm CIII
- (fol. 15v) 'Marters' Psalm XXXIX
- (fol. 16) 'Southwell'. Ravenscroft's 'London', Playford's 'Southwell'. Psalm LXX
- (fol. 16v) 'Lincolne'. Not Ravenscroft's nor Playford's 'Lincoln'. Psalm LXXXI
- (fol. 17) '100 Psalme'. 1st p[ar]te
- (fol. 17v) '125 Psalme. second parte'. Ravenscroft's 'French Tune'
- (fol. 18) 'Italian'. Psalm CXX
- (fol. 18v) 'Kings'. Psalm XXXII
- (fol. 19) 'Duks'. Psalm XXXIII
- (fol. 19v) 'London'. Not Ravenscroft's nor Playford's 'London'. Psalm CXXXIV
- (fol. 20) 'Bristoll'. Psalm XCV
- (fol. 20v) 'Bath'. Psalm LXXXIX
- (fol. 21) 'Gloster'. Psalm CX
- (fols. 21v-22) 'High Duch'. Psalm CXII
- (fols. 22v-23) 'Veni creator'
- (fols. 23v-24) '125 Psalme first parte'
- (fols. 24v-25) '51 Psalme'
- (fols. 25v-36) '119 Psalme'
- (fols. 26v-7) '137 Psalme'
- (fols. 27v-8v) '113 Psalme'
- Creation: [c 1700]
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Mus. f. 38, fols. 1-2].
MS. Mus. f. 38
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 16805
'A Booke of Psalme Tunes with directions by the Rull how to sing them...', [c 1700].
Biographical / Historical
Biographical details unknown.
'Richard Dirick his book and Pen' and 'Edward Sanders his hand and Pen 1724' on fol. 1v.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Watermarks resemble Heawood 3142 (Lion, but initial T) and 353 (coat of arms, but initial H). i + 32 leaves; 4 gatherings of 8 (2/3 missing) with modern endpapers. Ruled as needed. Calf binding with blind fillets, formerly tied with strings.
- 'A Booke of Psalme Tunes...'
- EAD version 2019 by Hannah Jordan and Margaret Czepiel
- Language of description
- Script of description