'Sonatas a 2 violini con Violone'
MS. Mus. e. 39
Violone part only of 9 sonatas by Finger, Giovanni Pietro Franchi, Giuseppe Torrelli, Johann Christoph Pez, and Carlo Cailo.
- (fol. 1) Mr. [Gottfried] Finger in F major.
- (fol. 2) Sgr. [Giovanni] Pietro Franchi in D major.
- (fols. 3-4) Sgr. [Giovanni] Pietro Franchi in D minor.
- (Fols. 4v-5v) Sgr. [Giuseppe] Torrelli [sic] in D major.
- (fols. 6-7) Sgr. [Giuseppe] Torrelli [sic] in E minor.
- (fols. 7-9) Mr. [Johann Christoph] Pez in A major.
- (fols. 9v-10) Monsr. [Johann Christoph] Pez in C minor.
- (fols. 11v-12) Sgr. [Gian] Carlo Cailo in G minor.
- (fol. 13) [Johann Christoph] Pez. One movement, 3/2 in A major.
- [early 18th cent.]
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Mus. e.39].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Mus. e. 39
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 16770
'Sonatas a 2 violini con Violone', [early 18th cent.].
Biographical / Historical
Biographical details unknown.
Other Finding Aids
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought at Sotheby's, part of lot 418 in sale of 2 May 1970.
Watermark, Coat of Arms; counter-mark, A [heart] RIBEROLLE (?). 8 staves, no marginal ruling. Faded pink silk ribbon ties in addition to stiching. Bought at Sotheby's, part of lot 418 in sale of 2. v. 70. i + 14 leaves: originally 12 leaves sewn as a single gathering within a paper wrapper (now foliated i and 14). An extra leaf (fol. 13) of the same paper, written by the same hand, was enclosed loose.
Upright small quarto
- 18th century
- Cailò | Gian Carlo | 1659-1722 | violinist and composer
- Finger | Gottfried | c 1660-1730 | viol player and composer
- Franchi | Giovanni Pietro | d 1731 | composer
- Music -- Manuscripts -- 18th century
- Pez | Johann Christoph | 1664-1716 | composer, instrumentalist and singer
- Torelli | Giuseppe | 1658-1709 | composer
- Trio sonatas (Violins (2), continuo)
- 'Sonatas a 2 violini con Violone'
- EAD version 2019 by Hannah Jordan and Margaret Czepiel
- Language of description