Collection of carols, anthems, etc., carefully but inexpertly copied
MS. Mus. e. 38
Items 1-4: music for 4 voices; items 5-8: music for 2 voices.
- (fols. 1v-3) 'An Hymn on the Joys of Heaven, set by Dr. Henry [sic] Campion', beg. Never weather beaten sail. Published in T. Campion's Two Bookes of Ayres (London: Printed by Tho. Snodham for Mathew Lownes and I. Browne, [c 1613]).
- (fols. 3v-6) 'A Christmas Carol', beg. A virgin unspotted. 8 lines only. See W. H. Rusk, Songs of the Nativity, p. 30, for reference to this version published by Arthur Bedford in c 1734.
- (fols. 7-8) 'O Remember Adams fall'.
- (fols. 8v-9v) 'If Angels sung a Saviours birth'.
- (fols. 10v-11) 'A Song of Praise for Gods Merces', beg. Ascribe to God.
- (fols. 11v-13) 'An Hymn on the Nativity... sett by Mr. Roseingrave', beg. We sing to him.
- (fols. 13v-16) 'An Hymn Set hy Mr. Wm. Markham... Psalm 119 ver. 9', beg. How shall the young.
- (fols. 16v-18) 'On Charity', beg. For all the blessings.
- (fols. 18v-19) 'An hymn set hy Mr. Wm. Turner', beg. To thee O Lord. 3 parts.
- (fol. 19v) Incomplete hymn in 4 parts, beg. To thee my God I hourly sigh.
- (fols. 21-25v) 'An hymn of Thanksgiving for Easter Day', beg. The mornings up. Verse anthem.
- (fols. 27v-36v) 'An Anthem set by Mr. Wm. Bird', beg. Bow thine ear. [Part of Ne irascaris adapted to English words]. 5 parts.
- (fols. 38-42) 'An Anthem sett hy Mr. Michael Wise', beg. Awake up my Glory. Verse anthem.
- (fols. 43v-44v) 'The Appeal. An Hymn sett by Mr. Wm. Turner', beg. To thee great searcher. 3 parts.
- (fols. 45v-50) 'An Anthem'... Psalm xcvi vv. 1-4, beg. Sing unto the Lord and praise. Verse anthem.
- (fols. 51-52) 'An Anthem'... Psalm xxxiii vv. 1-4, beg. Sing unto the Lord a new song. 2 parts.
- (fols. 52v-55) 'O praise the Lord' in 3 parts; Gloria in 4 parts.
- (fols. 55v-57) 'Heavn's what is that', Easter anthem for treble solo and chorus.
- (fols. 57v-59) 'Oh be joyful' for treble solo and chorus.
- mid-18th cent.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Mus. e. 38, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Mus. e. 38
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 16769
Collection of carols, anthems, etc., carefully but inexpertly copied, mid-18th cent.
Biographical / Historical
Biographical details unknown.
The name Thomas Conaway appears on fol. i. Previously owned by Robert Spencer.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
i + 63 leaves formerly in 22 quires of 4, of which 1/1, 6/2-3, 17/4 and 18-22 were removed. Watermarks: at least two different 'Pro Patria' marks; no countermark visible. Cut by binder. Ruled with 4-6 staves to a page, as needed by copyist. No original foliation. 18th-cent. calf binding with blind tooling and a metal clasp now missing.
- Collection of carols, anthems, etc., carefully but inexpertly copied
- EAD version 2019 by Hannah Jordan and Margaret Czepiel
- Language of description
- Script of description