Louis Hague Barnby: autograph manuscripts of the first four of the five songs published as 5 Songs by Louis H. Barnby (London, Joseph Williams, 1898)
MS. Mus. d. 262
The songs are:
- (fols. 3-4v) Boat song. Words by Yorke Cleveland. Dated 24 Mar 1898. 4 pages, 8°
- (fols. 7-8v) A serenade. Words by Thomas Hood. Composed 1892. 4 pages, 8°
- (fols. 11-12v) The three farewells. Words by Gilbert Hudson. Dated 1 Oct 1897. 4 pages, 8°.
- (fols. 15-16) Mine own, dear heart. Words by Ruth Allen. 3 pages, 4°
The manuscripts are bound in immediately next to their respective printed versions. Also included is a letter from the publisher Joseph Williams to the composer, relating to the publication (fol. 2). The manuscripts have been marked up for engraving, and a German translation by Willy Kastner has been added in red ink, and appears in the printed version.
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Mus. d. 262, fol. 1].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Mus. d. 262
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 16734
Louis Hague Barnby: autograph manuscripts of the first four of the five songs published as 5 Songs by Louis H. Barnby (London, Joseph Williams, 1898), 1892-1989. Together with a copy of the printed edition.
Biographical / Historical
Biographical details unknown.
Other Finding Aids
The printed item is also recorded in the SOLO catalogue.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given by Dr Bent Juel-Jensen, 1981.
- Louis Hague Barnby: autograph manuscripts of the first four of the five songs published as '5 Songs by Louis H. Barnby'
- EAD version 2019 by Hannah Jordan and Margaret Czepiel
- Language of description