A few pieces of English verse
A few pieces of English verse:
- Fol. 1. 'The British Fair', copied by 'Mils Whitehead', given on May 23, 1894, by G. F. Haines
- Fol. 2. 'A Plaintive Epistle' to Pitt
- Fol. 8. 'The Way to tame', 'found in N[ew] C[ollege] Cloysters'
- Fol. 10. 'A New Song called the Bonny Moor Hen', about 1770, given as fol. 1
- Fol. 11. Some verses by the rev. J. Hoskyns Abrahall, 1882, given by the rev. E. Marshall on Dec. 20, 1894
- Guard-book of verse, 18th-20th cent., including: (fols. 42-7) poems by Edmund Blunden; (fols. 106-30) typescript copy of J. A. Symonds, 'The tale of Theodore', with related correspondence, 1921-48. Pre-1800 verse in Crum
- Some verses by miss A. M. (?) Forbes, accompanied by a letter (Sept. 1909?), have been added, occupying fols. 15-18
- Fol. 20 a transcript of two short poems 'upon Driden's turning Papist', one or both by Aphra Behn: given by mr. E. S. Dodgson, Oct. 19, 1914
- Fols. 28-36, 38-9 have been added, including autographs of Benj. D'Israeli the elder, Feb. 4, 1819 (fol. 28: given by S. G. Perceval, May 20, 1904), George Canning, Aug. 16, 1814 (fol. 32: given as above), and sir F. Gore Ouseley, June 2, 1870 (fol. 38: bought as no. 538 of Ellis and Elvey's Music Catal. 6, Oct. 18, 1904)
- (MS. Autogr. c. 9) two letters from mr. G. Sauerwein to mr. E. S. Dodgson, Nov. 7 and 12, 1904, presented by the latter on May 4, 1905, are added as fols. 40-43: and an undated letter from dr. Pusey to the rev. H. O. Coxe, bought from J. Pearson & Co.'s Catal., art. 529, on Oct. 9, 1905, is at fol. 44
- Fols. 80-82, containing (1) a letter from Henry Vaughan, the Silurist, to Anthony Wood, Apr. 25, 1689, presented on May 18 by Aleck Abrahams, who writes a note of donation: (2) a facsimile of a letter of sir Robert Cotton from a British Museum MS.
- An undated letter from Thomas Hood, presented by E. A. Bigg, Esq., of Clifton, Bristol, Nov. 25, 1912, has been added at fol. 86
- A letter to Desiderius Erasmus formerly in this volume, as noted above at p. 293, has been transferred to no. 35596 where it is now fol. 80
- Fols. 72-79 added, among which are a Latin letter from Petrus Aegidius (P. Gillis, of Delft) to Erasmus (1518: fol. 74), presented by mr. P.S. Allen on Jan. 7, 1908: and two letters from dr. G. G. Sauerwein to mr. E. S. Dodgson, June 14 and 15, 1901 (fol. 75), presented by the latter on June 21, 1901
The following letters among others have been added:
- Fol. 46. Five from Adam Clarke, 1822-26
- Fol. 58. One from dr. Alexander Chalmers, May 31, 1825
- Fol. 60. A begging letter signed by John Carey, LL.D., Sept. 6, 1826
- Fol. 64. One from the rev. John Newton, n. d. 'bought.. in lot 105 at Sotheby's, 19. 5. 1906'
- Fol. 66. One from Joseph Skelton, Oct. 13, 1830, 'bought.. 1.6.1906 from H. Y. Adamson'
- Fols. 68, 70. Two from John Charles Villiers, Feb. 10, 1800, and Thomas Villiers, Oct. 9, 1809, earls of Clarendon
- Creation: Written in the 18th and 19th century
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. poet. d. 10, fols. 1-2]
MS. Eng. poet. d. 10
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 20396
A few pieces of English verse
Biographical / Historical
Biographical details unknown.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 30517
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Referenced in 1896.
Additions: Acquired, 1924-66.
11 5/8 × 8 3/8 in.
- A few pieces of English verse
- EAD version 2020 by Alice Whichelow
- Language of description
- Script of description