Latin collections in verse and prose, with a few English
Latin collections in verse and prose, with a few English, made by a member of St. John's college, Oxford, and largely relating to Oxford or written by Oxford men: chiefly copied out about 1680-1690, with additions to about 1710. A full account of the fifty-seven pieces, with index, is in manuscript in the Library. The following are a few of the items:
- (fol. 21) 'In obitum Francisci Harding, 1683', a Latin oration at St. John's college, by Thomas Edwards;
- (fols. 101, 111) Terrae filius speeches at the Oxford Act, 1657, 1675, in Latin, both written by dr. Robert South, as are several other orations in this volume;
- (fol. 146) Speech in the Sheldonian Theatre before the determining bachelors, Lent, 1690, by Thomas Newey, junior proctor, in Latin;
- (fols. 153, 154) 'Ode epistolaris', on current Oxford topics, by Arthur Charlett, Apr. 1, 1705, with an answering 'Ode responsoria' by archdn. William Percival: cf. fols. 174, 175;
- (fol. 158) The Bodleian speech of 1702, by Edmond Smith, in Latin.
Some of the pieces are college exercises, and several are printed in the Musæ Anglicanæ.
The 162 leaves are (fols. 1, 6-24, 30-87, 101-184) of the old foliation.
- Creation: written about A.D. 1680-1710
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Lat. misc. e. 19, fols. 1-2]
MS. Lat. misc. e. 19
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 20264
Latin collections in verse and prose, with a few English, written about A.D. 1680-1710.
Biographical / Historical
Thomas Edwards (1651/2–1721) was a Church of England clergyman and orientalist.
Robert South (1634–1716) was Church of England clergyman and theologian.
Thomas Newey (fl. 1690) was junior proctor.
Arthur Charlett (1655–1722) was a college head
William Percival (fl. c.1705) was an archdeacon.
Edmond Smith (fl. 1702).
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 29804.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought from messrs. J. W. Jarvis & Son, Dec. 13, 1888, for £1 11s. 6d.: see no. 29796.
7 1/4 × 5 7/8 in.
- University of Oxford | St. John's College (Organisation)
- Edwards | Thomas | ? 1651-1721 | Church of England clergyman and orientalist (Person)
- South | Robert | 1634-1716 | Church of England clergyman and theologian (Person)
- Charlett | Arthur | 1655-1722 | Master of University College Oxford (Person)
- Latin collections in verse and prose, with a few English
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description